Ketarin forum
B@T

Backslash in regex

I tried to make a regular expression with a backslash in it. For example: {file:regex:[^\\].*$} should return the filename from a filepath. But if i put the backslash in the regular expression, it returns an empty string.

Edited by B@T

I'm not sure how should I try. I tried [^/\]*$ and [^/\/\]*$ but these didn't work. Could you post me an example?

Edited by B@T

I think I had the two forward slashes in my previous post confused with two backslashes ( \\ )... Try two backslashes ( \\ ) with EACH backslash you use... in other words... 3 backslashes will make 1 backslash in regex.

I tried 3 backslashes as CybTekSol suggested, but it's not working too.

floele, well, it's a perfect workaround, but i think in the bugs topic, we prefer concentrate on the problem which demonstrated by the example.

Oh, and i tried some other regexp patterns, and i also can't use colon in it, because Ketarin thinks, it's a separator, and i can't escape it with backslash(es).

B@T, I think you're using a flawed assumption. My understanding was that from a variable with a value like this "c:\user\me\stuff\files.txt" you were trying to return only "files.txt". By default, Regex isn't multiline, so an exclusion ([^\\]) wouldn't return anything if your variable had a carriage return or line feed within it. Consider passing it thru a "trim" before you attempt the regex grab. Or, alternatively, use optional carriage return/line feeds as possible terminators in the grab:

{file:regex:[^\\]+[\r\n\s\t]*$}