Ketarin forum

Integrating InstallPad features

floele

Hi,

I've recently come across an application called InstallPad (http://installpad.com/), which seems to be no longer in development. It has features which are very similar to Ketarin's, just...less advanced ;)

It does, however, have the additional ability to install applications, as opposed to only downloading them. It seems to me, that this might also be a nice addition to Ketarin. What do you think?

I'd imagine it to work like this:

0. When adding applications, you specify some additional setup parameters. For example the installation method (copy file to a loction or execute file in case of an installer) or the parameter for silent installation.

1. You select some applications or all of them (I'm not sure yet how. Maybe I'll ad checkboxes to the list or add an additional dialog.) You could have "profiles" which groups multiple applications, or for the start maybe just a selection based on the category.

2. You specify whether or not to have silent installations (if possible) and to update all applications to be installed before starting the setup.

3. Ketarin launches the setup routines and shows some kind of progress dialog during the process.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i assume its not helpful? These are the 'profiles' i'm talking about

Archive

Archive & Run

Capture URL & Archive

Capture URL & Archive & Run

Capture URL & Extract

Extract (7z)

Extract (UniExtract)

Extract to Temp & Copy (7z)

Extract to Temp & Robocopy Files (Uniextract)

Extract to Temp & Robocopy Folders (Uniextract)

Extract to Temp & Robocopy Mirror (Uniextract)

PortableApps Capture URL & Archive

PortableApps Capture URL & Archive & Run

I use Ketarin to handle my portable applications so i dont need a silent install profile but generally speaking that can be usefull although tricky.

Best regards!

Edited by josh

Well, you have jobs that "download and install" and you have jobs that only download. But you cannot turn on or off installing a particular application, unless you have two versions of it. In Ketarin downloading and installing would be separate tasks.

Some tools, like putty for example, do not need an installation but can be installed by just copying it to a specific location.

Extracting a ZIP file might also be possible, but then I'd need to ship a command line version of 7z or the like with Ketarin.

Extracting a ZIP file might also be possible, but then I'd need to ship a command line version of 7z or the like with Ketarin.

Or maybe having Ketarin detect the absence/presence of 7-Zip's CL version in Ketarin's folder or a 'global variables' path to it to enable this feature if packaging it with Ketarin is not possible Flo?

Also, Flo, I noticed InstallPad has the ability to sequentially test for the latest version of an app from a stable URL format from sites that use such structure. Is this a possibility for Ketarin? The latest successful version found could then be recorded as the version scrape maybe?

Actually, I don't think that it is possible to work nicely. I never know whether or not a found version is the latest version, because usually versions are skipped. So if currently at 5.2.1, there might not be a 5.2.2 but only a 5.3.1 version. I can certainly check for all combinations from 1.1.1 to 99.99.99, but you'll probably agree that this might be rather slow. Efficient only when a directory listing is available.

I agree with your assessment of the difficulty in determining if a link is for the latest version or how reliable this might be Flo. If the current version is 5.2.1 when you add an app's URL, then test from 5.2.2 up incrementally thru version 6.0.0 for example, it may get one's static ip banned from a site like happened to me at FreeWareFiles.com some time ago. :( And even then, 6.0.0 may not be the latest version with a major jump in development and/or time between running Ketarin. I didn't test how well 'download latest version' worked with InstallPad but I was 'suspect' of this approach when I read of it.

i don't really think it's necessary to have the "install program" option, but i'd definitely appreciate the "extract" options, especially if it supports those exe's that CAN be extracted (coz winrar would extract them). i know there are ways to sort of do that, but it's not entirely reliable (i've got an exe that can be extracted by winrar but not uniextract, the taught method in the forum somewhere - problem is i want my drive to be self sustainable, i.e. no need to rely on the host computer to have certain softwares or anything...everything runs off the portable drive). i don't know how hard it will be, or what the licensing issues there will be (coz presumably you'll use some libs from somewhere), but it'd be awesome if ketarin comes with that functionality. i'd even gladly donate some (just some...) money for that!

actually i'm more than happy to donate some money now but you don't have that on your website. maybe you can add a paypal link to your homepage in the meantime :P

• 6 months later...

I'm currently doing some work on this task. Might actually turn out to be pretty useful. I even plan to implement some scripting which goes somewhat beyond the current possibilities. Maybe you'll even want that for the rest of the Ketarin features :)