Ketarin forum

Copy variable, rename variable...

appyface

I just dropped a hint in another thread, but thought I'd come here and make it official after all :-)

It would be very handy to have a "copy variable" function. I'm thinking of variables that are currently defined within the download entry you're working on, but I suppose it could extend to any variables defined in any Ketarin download entry.

It's not that big of a deal to define two variables by hand. But if both use the same source URL and/or both have similar scrape instructions, it would be nice to define one and get it working, then copy it to a new name and alter as needed.

Similarly, a rename variable function would be handy, though if we had "copy variable" a rename could be handled as a two-step process (copy to new name, delete old name).

While I'm here :-) I've sometimes wanted a "disable variable" function. I'd like to leave the variable in the Ketarin entry, but mark it such that Ketarin doesn't process it. Useful if I'm working on an alternate scrape, for example, but don't want Ketarin to spend any cycles on it except when I'm working on it. Probably not a big deal if we don't get it, but hey it can't hurt to ask :-)

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Flo,

For now, these suggestions are not going to get on my todo list. It's rather something post 1.0.

Bump... in the hopes of attracting more votes :) as well as your renewed attention?

And yes I realize we're not "post 1.0" yet...

Thanks as always for your consideration of this 'wish' for the never-ending 'todo list'.

--appyface

@Flo,

I could definitely use the 'rename variable' feature now as one site I am using is slowly phasing in changes to their redirect method and forces me to use my {redir} variable instead of my {download_url} as the actual download link. To keep things consistent, I currently has to delete both variables and rework them from the clipboard. It would be much easier to delete my {download_url} variable and rename my {redir} variable to {download_url}. Just my take on it for your consideration. ;)

This is already possible editing XML directly. I do it all the time.

I'm well aware of this FranciscoR, but IMHO that is just as cumbersome and time consuming (if not more so) than the method I currently use within Ketarin's GUI as you have to export the app entry to XML, edit it externally and then import it. Editing my 'global' app XML export with 1000+ apps is always my last resort and something I avoid if possible, so it would have to be done from an individual app entry export for me.

Today I accomplish both the 'copy' function and the 'rename' function manually. Still cumbersome especially if it needs to be done with many apps.

Yes XML can be edited but I'd still like to work within the variable dialog if possible.

Today I go to the variable dialog on an app, find the existing variable I want to copy or rename, and copy out the URL, regex, start/end string info, textual content... to my text editor.

I then add a new variable via the variable dialog, and paste in the URL, regex, etc. ('Find start/end' delimiters have to be set up again, if those are in use.)

So now I have made a copy of the first variable. If this was intended as a 'rename', I delete the first variable and I'm done. If it was intended as a 'copy' I can now proceed to modify the new variable copy as I desire.

If we can have at least the 'copy variable' function, that would cover both of my 'wishes'. The rename function becomes just two steps (clone then delete original variable name). Of course a 'rename variable' option turns that into one step.

So far the votes I've collected are for rename. But if I have to choose just one, I'll ask that it be 'copy' instead. :)

--appyface

LOL

Flo may still make us wait until "post 1.0"... there are a LOT of numbers possible from 1.0.4 so we might have to wait a very long time...!

Hey wait. Doesn't 1.0.4 come AFTER 1.0? Maybe we're already "post 1.0" and I just didn't realize it!!!!

ROTFMAO

Seriously. Because the only votes so far are for 'rename', the last thing I want is the possibility of giving the impression the 'copy' function is not so important.

Being that this is *my* wish thread :) I want to stress that 'copy' is my most important request of these two wishes.

But yes yes yes I would like to have both functions! Hence the subject line... :)

• 1 year later...