Ketarin forum

Limit or ignore characteristics when determining update status?

appyface

I have a couple downloads, the file's modified date gets changed frequently, but in actuality it is the same file. (I have performed binary compare of the contents with previous download for same version number, and the files are identical.) I have written to these vendors to ask if that can be avoided, so far no joy :-/

So, on a per-entry basis, could I instruct Ketarin to NOT consider a file's modified date, when determining if there is an update? There may be other characteristics that could be helpful to instruct Ketarin to skip, such as filename or size, or created date?

Right now Ketarin downloads the same files over and over... that's not a bad fate since it is only a couple of files for me, but it couldn't hurt to ask about avoiding it :-)

I'm open to suggestion for other ways to get around it, too. TIA!

--appyface

I do scrape the version number, and assemble the download filename. Ketarin overlays that file on my disk over and over. How would I use the verson number variable to stop that? I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding what you want me to do differently, to stop Ketarin from downloading these files.

Thanks,

--appyface

OK, I think I see what you're getting at... let's run with that idea for a sec...

I would need to be able to either create a new variable from existing variables (my feature request that's low on the totem pole right now...), or be able to specify more than one variable be watched as the update indicator.

The reason being, I have to scrape the main version from one page and the build from another page, to come up with the complete version info. There have been many times when the build number stays at 1 but the main version numbering changes, other times the main version numbering stays the same but the build number changes. Sometimes both of course.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to this addition also Florian... THANKS!! :D I currently have had to disable 4 or 5 apps as they constantly update although the version has not changed. In the meantime, I'm using logs to catch the apps that fall into that category... (See the 'Application update ToDo list on your desktop' thread in 'Tips and Tutorials' for a description of that)... ;)

Edited by CybTekSol