Ketarin forum

Ketarin 1.5 alpha

floele

Yes this has been an issue ever since Ketarin could use a regex on web pages:

http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=322

It depends on the regex itself and what part is being edited, as well as how big the page is that is being scraped -- if adding/changing/deleting just a single character causes catastrophic backtracking, Ketarin appears to be hung but in reality just needs time (sometimes a lot time -- even 10 minutes or more) to complete the evaluation of the regex. Try to add/change/delete the next character and wait again.

@appyface,

Yes indeed... I recall that thread and have since started using a 'workaround'. I do not edit the regex without first placing a couple of (( or )) depending on whether I am editing the beginning or ending of the regex. This places the regex in an 'unbalanced state' which suspends parsing until I refine and double-check the regex. Then I place the regex back in a 'balanced state'. It works but there has to be a better solution... hopefully Flo can develop one.

Could we have an option in Ketarin to turn on a 'wait to parse a regex in the variable pane screen while it is being typed/edited' feature?

This is one of my biggest frustrations as well. Maybe a type-delay (1.5 seconds or so - tunable if people are into that sort of thing), and a pre-scan of the RegEx to ensure it has capture braces before attempting application?