Ketarin forum

Alert when update available but dont download

Banksy

Hi Flo,

I was wondering what the chances are of adding an option for applications in the list to check for updates and notify but not actually download the update.

The reason this would be useful is for applications that are very large. As an example I've added a number of linux distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora etc.), but if there is an update, i may not be in a location where I really want to be downloading 700 megs worth.

Although I realise there is an option to "Only check for updates". It would be good if there was an option in the same area as the Enabled checkbox called something like "Don't automatically download".

Currently I have all of my large apps disabled but that means I have no idea if there are any updates.

Alternatively perhaps a file size check option that is triggered if the file size is over a set amount could be incorporated into the general settings. Maybe with a prompt to the user asking if they want to download now or skip. Or it could simply skip and alert once all applications have been processed.

Hope this makes sense

@Banksy,

This feature would be beneficial to me also. I have been reluctant to add Linux distros to Ketarin for the very reasons you have cited. The addition of a feature similar to what you are requesting would decrease the frequency of my required visits to DistroWatch and similar sites! ;)

Assuming that such an option is set, in which case would Ketarin then actually download the file?

Flo, for me, I only download files over 50MB from my 'primary PC' that is hardwired to my network and not from my wireless connections. A feature such as Banksy has described would allow me to run a global update on my wireless PCs and then if files larger than the 50MB threshold were in need of an update, I could move to my 'primary PC' (which I sync Ketarin over the network) and download the larger files there. Make sense?

Erm, nope. You didn't answer my question actually. Ketarin doesn't know whether or not it is located on the "primary" PC.

Flo... at the end of the day I synch/mirror EVERYTHING (Jobs.db, XML Exports, Downloads and Folder Structure) between my laptop, 'primary pc', and 'secondary pcs' through my FreeNAS Server on my network so Ketarin has the same data to work with on all computers. I am currently considering converting Ketarin's settings, my global XML export and my templates that may be affected to run from and download to the FreeNAS Server ONLY as it is always available and mapped to all my computers on my network, which would make this feature request a moot point for me if there are not any issues I have yet to consider in accomplishing this. My security implementations my be too 'strict' to do it that way as I have everything pretty well locked down... I'll try to test this within the next couple of days and will let you know if I am successful. ;)

I am currently considering converting Ketarin's settings, my global XML export and my templates that may be affected to run from and download to the FreeNAS Server ONLY as it is always available and mapped to all my computers on my network, which would make this feature request a moot point for me if there are not any issues I have yet to consider in accomplishing this. I'll try to test this within the next couple of days and will let you know if I am successful. ;)
Flo... you probably knew the geek in me couldn't wait a couple of days to try this. ;)I've GOT IT WORKING... I'm able to run Ketarin located on the FreeNAS Server from all the PCs on my network that have the server HD mapped! I externally edited my global apps XML export to reflect the path changes, then imported it, changed Ketarin's settings to reflect the path changes, then made sure the mirrored downloaded files and folders were identical on the server. After overcoming some issues with my firewalls which didn't want me to authorize Ketarin's TCP access, it is working beautifully. It is slowed slightly when running it from my wireless laptop for obvious reasons (additional bandwidth requirements), but its speed from my hardwired gigabit 'primary pc' is essentially the same! Even my execute commands for 7-Zip, Universal Extractor, file copy and move appear to be functioning so far! WOOOHOOO! :DBanksy... you need a FreeNAS Server (or something similar - Ubuntu Server, Commercial NAS, etc.) for your network!!

Nice, but I still lack an answer ;)

Now, again. Assume that there is an option for applications to disable downloading. If you start the update process, Ketarin will not download this application.

What should you have to do in order to make Ketarin download the application despite the fact that the option is checked? If you *never* want to download the application, you can just as well delete it.

What should you have to do in order to make Ketarin download the application despite the fact that the option is checked?
I think I FINALLY understand what you are asking! ;) Assuming you implement the 'max file size for global download session' option that Banksy has suggested, I would suggest adding an 'Override MAX file size for this session ONLY' drop-down option AND/OR a right-click option 'Force download' when the app entry is highlighted after notification that an app that exceeds the MAX threshold needs to be updated. I hope this is the answer you were looking for Flo... if NOT please forgive me as I'm still on pain meds and about 60% normal. :(

Sorry I've been a bit busy starting a new job! Looks like there's been a bit of discussion on this one. I wonder whether the simplest method might be:

1) Add an Application checkbox option to Alert Only on the Advanced Settings

2) The overall app list update alerts of updates for these apps but skips the download

3) Right clicking on the app and clicking on the existing "update" option then forces the download, ignoring the alert only option and also avoiding additional menu items.

What do you think? This would mean large downloads could be set with this option, you will know when there is a new version available and then when convenient force the download for that specific app.

I'm able to run Ketarin located on the FreeNAS Server from all the PCs on my network that have the server HD mapped!

Update:

NIX that idea Flo! Ugly things happen when you lose your wireless connection to the FreeNAS! Hardwired PCs are not a problem, but since you have added the 'Do not download, check for updates only' option to the 'Advanced settings' tab, I'm converting back to my initial setup. ;)

Hi Flo,

Here's a log from an app using this option ('check, do not download'):

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Replacing {parturl} in 'http://www.xreminder.com/download/{parturl:1}' with 'xr422r.exe'

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Using referer: http://www.xreminder.com/download/

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Server source file: /download/xr422r.exe

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Determined target file name: d:\Stuff\filestore\xr422r.exe

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Checking if update is required...

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Update required, 'd:\Stuff\filestore\xr422r.exe' does not yet exist

Could the log indicate this option ('check, do not download') is in use? Otherwise it looks like Ketarin should have downloaded. And it would have -- had this option not been selected.

Thoughts? TIA,

--appyface

• 3 months later...
Hi Flo,

Here's a log from an app using this option ('check, do not download'):

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Replacing {parturl} in 'http://www.xreminder.com/download/{parturl:1}' with 'xr422r.exe'

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Using referer: http://www.xreminder.com/download/

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Server source file: /download/xr422r.exe

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Determined target file name: d:\Stuff\filestore\xr422r.exe

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Checking if update is required...

3/18/2009 5:13:48 AM: X-Reminder Pro: Update required, 'd:\Stuff\filestore\xr422r.exe' does not yet exist

Could the log indicate this option ('check, do not download') is in use? Otherwise it looks like Ketarin should have downloaded. And it would have -- had this option not been selected.

Thoughts? TIA,

--appyface

Hi Flo, I still use this function a fair bit (check but do not download), could that indication be added to the log output so I can readily see the reason Ketarin did not download the file for me? It would save me a step in verifying the results of a Ketarin run.

TIA,

--appyface