Ketarin forum

Ketarin icons

appyface

Hi Flo,

I think this has been discussed before but I can't find it now... apologies...

I launch Ketarin and click 'update now' button. After Ketarin has finished, all icons have changed to either gold sunburst (updated), green check (no change), or red X (error).

I do always have quite a few with error status that have to be updated by hand. After acknowledging the error pop-up window, I click on one or more of the applications with an error, and press CTRL-U to try to update them again. But as soon as I press CTRL-U, all the other icons on the display will reset to their default icons.

Is it possible to have Ketarin retain whatever the last displayed icon is, changing it only if the entry is being updated?

For me it would be good enough to honor this until I close Ketarin. But maybe it would be nice to store in the database and retain across Ketarin sessions, too.

Possible? Thoughts?

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

Well I guess it depends on what someone thinks the current icons represent...

If by "not fit the current updating process", you mean that some applications are not IN the current updating process, therefore the visual icon status must be non-committal? Then yes how the icons are being reset does show that.

I guess I look at the icon to be an indicator of what Ketarin found, the last time Ketarin was asked to update the application. Given that viewpoint, the icon shouldn't change if Ketarin is not currently being asked to update that particular application.

Hmmm... maybe a separate column with Ketarin's last update-checking status (updated, error, no change) would allow Ketarin to serve both viewpoints? Then icons could be left as they are now.

I know there are other ways to get this information, but I do like the visual. :-)

I've been getting around this by Ctrl-Left-Clicking all of the entries in the 'failed update' notification window to highlight them, pressing Ctrl-C to copy them to the clipboard and pasting them into Notepad so I can review them later. This would be easier if Florian could add a 'Save as Text' or 'Save Failed Updates Log' (or something similar) feature to that window. ;)