Ketarin forum

Regex Scrape Productivity Features

CybTekSol

I know you're probably tired of my 'right-click' fetish Florian, please forgive me as I have another. ;)

1) The ability to 'right-click' copy to clipboard the highlighted text in the 'html code' display of the 'Edit Variables' window for externally creating and modifying regex scrapes. This is a minor issue for me as I currently use control-c... I can wait, it would only improve my productivity slightly.

More importantly:

2) For troubleshooting failed scrapes, some method of pasting the scrape results to the clipboard or displaying the entire scrape result including non-standard characters, line feeds, etc.. I'm currently having a problem developing a 'universal scrape' for a template as it is picking up these but not displaying them highlighted in color (obviously). Is there some way around this? Maybe a 'Paste scrape results to clipboard' button or right-click option... Does this make sense to you? I'm a little puzzled as to how to overcome this. :o

Doesn't the log window contain the necessary information?

Not that I can glean while actively modifying the regex in the 'Edit Variables' dialog window... and the offending line-feed is not displayed in red obviously. I am unaware of its presence until I attempt to update (download) the application and I receive 'The specified target path is not valid' error due to the illegal character. Is there a feature that can be implemented to discover this while in the 'Edit Variables' dialog window?

Then I'd so the same for the start/end. I can certainly do it if you find it easier to read. Any other opinions?

I believe it will be more productive, especially when one encounters hidden line feeds included in their regex match only after the fact as I have repeatedly trying to refine my 'BetaNews FileForum' template that uses their search engine. I hope others agree! ;)

Would coloring the background of the selection solve the line-feed issue? I'm not too sure that it would. It would make it far easier to see which spaces are being included (something I've had a problem or two with before), but I don't know that it would show any line-feeds. I have a feeling that it's going to take something more difficult to solve that problem.

I tried modifying the rich text box to add a Pilcrow (¶) before every line-feed like Microsoft Office can do, but it's tricky getting the regex to ignore them while the rich text box displays them. It's also tricky removing them from the extracted text. It's the only solution I can think of at the moment, and sadly another project has taken some of my interest, resulting in less time to work on Ketarin. I'll continue searching for possible solutions to the invisible line-feed problem and see what I can come up with. In the mean time I agree that coloring the background of the selection would be great. :)

=== Edit ===

Well, as usual I got way ahead of myself again. I was wrong, the background highlighting works perfectly. No need for any fancy Pilcrows or anything like that. Line-feeds show up just like spaces. Great work Flo! Sorry for getting all excited over nothing. Now I need to find some other fun way to modify Ketarin ;)

Edited by Kerberos

For me, if I am having trouble with a regex I copy the HTML out of Ketarin's window and into RegexBuddy, and also my regex-in-progress.

I find it easier to just go use RegexBuddy (or other regex development tool like Expresso), as there are a lot of features in those programs to help with the task.

Still, I agree if Ketarin had the additional features mentioned here, it might keep the regex work within Ketarin more often.

My $0.02 USD. :)

--appyface