Ketarin forum

Static IP blues...

CybTekSol

My static IP has stung me again Flo. I have 66 apps from SoftPedia in Ketarin and when I ran an update of them today my static IP was banned! This is a major inconvenience! If you recall, I abandoned Freewarefiles.com some time ago for the same reason. I hope this does not become the norm. Is anyone else having problems with SoftPedia? Thoughts?

As a webhost, I don't always ban people that abuse my bandwidth outright. But if I do see an ongoing pattern of repeated abuse from a single IP or netrange, I *do* block them. This is why I strongly recommend anyone using something like Ketarin be very responsible with the number of simultaneous connections they attempt to employ. It won't always be a problem, but opening up ten connections to different files actually wastes significantly more resources than would several iterative connections, and chances are you're NOT going to benefit much, if at all, by using more than 2 connections. If that's not enough, you might go as high as 4 - but above that you're just going to upset the provider if they ever review their logs or utilize an automated scanner like BFD to throttle connections.

Well that's an issue only if you actually try to check many things from the same domain.And chanches are that if you do then this place must be pretty well known like filehippo,portableapps etc.Currently most of my downloads come from many different sources and max number of connections to the same domain are 2.Only exeption is mozilla addons which i have 33 things from.Sice Ketarin allows up to 20 then that's my setting too.So to mozilla addons 20+13.I'll keep my fingers crossed that they won't ban me :)