Ketarin forum

Problem opening Ketarin

ELECTRIC1

I am trying to improve my computer abilities and it is going slowly, in fact very slowly. I can normally solve most computer problems that I and friends have but it takes a long time. I saw a write up on Ketarin and the advantages of using it on flash drives to keep portable apps up to date. I have tried downloading it several times as a zip file, copied it, and then tried to open it. Every time a problem is flagged up saying: "Could not create or load the datebase file: The type initializer for 'System. Transactions. Diagnostics. Diagnostic Trace' threw an exception." Please go step by step.

Many thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

no, no, you run the exe file, but the dll file must be in the same folder as the exe..

are you trying to run the program from inside the .zip file? sounds like it in your reply, if so, then you'll need to extract them to a regular folder.

I have downloaded the zipfile. Copied it, with the .exe and .dll files in one folder. Double clicking on the .exe file the usual box appears warning that the file is from an unknown publisher, Run or Cancel. I select run and then the problem is flagged up as stated in my original post.

It sounds like you never actually extracted the zip file. You're probably using the Windows' native zip parsing to look inside, and it *looks* like it's a folder, but it behaves rather differently. Right-click on the zip file and select "extract". Follow the prompts. You'll end up looking at mostly the same thing, but both files should be extracted into a real folder now. Try again, and it should work.

• 1 month later...

The "warning that the file is from an unknown publisher, Run or Cancel" should NOT appear.

If it does, check the file permissions. The exe file should not be flagged as "file from remote computer". Maybe try using a different extraction application.

I wonder - do we maybe need an official Ketarin installer to make things simpler?