Ketarin forum

Question about versioning

ArSo

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but...

I'm making a tools usb and I'd like to configure all tools for the autoupdate with Ketarin.

I have set up an autoupdate for CCleaner portable from their page.

- it takes the portable version from the http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds page to {version}

- it downloads the zip file to a local HDD temporary directory

- it unpacks the archive to a specific tool directory on the USB {root}Toolkit\CCleaner\ for example

- it deletes the file from temporary folder on HDD

now, since the file is not there anymore, everytime I run update it downloads the same file and does everything again and again.

Is there a way to check the exisiting/old {version} against the one on the web page/the new {version} to stop the unnecessary updates?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

No you can't. If previous file was deleted, even using {version} as indicator for changes, Ketarin will always proceed to DL. Unless you update file location from command line, using something like

/update /appguid={373d4791-37d4-441a-81b8-8466e55e9803} /PreviousLocation=c:\test.exe

but this is far from ideal when using a USB stick.

Edited by FranciscoR

Keeping temp files could be a solution I was hoping on some easier one.

With temp files I could set it up to only update on 1 PC with temp files on its HDD or keep them on USB key as well which would double the ammount of used space.

Dunno if the creators will read this but it would be usefull to be able to set a variable {version} and update only if it differs.

ps. when I think about this, programs wont update if there is no version in the files name right? Lets say there is a new version of program ABC but the file is always called ABC.zip not ABC_v1.1.zip or ABC_v1.2.zip

ps. when I think about this, programs wont update if there is no version in the files name right? Lets say there is a new version of program ABC but the file is always called ABC.zip not ABC_v1.1.zip or ABC_v1.2.zip
I may be wrong, as I haven't verified it because I always 'scrape' version info using regex, but I believe Ketarin will look at file size and date of the file on the server and if it differs from the one locally Ketarin will update. Flo, please correct me if I'm mistaken. ;)