Ketarin forum

Automatic updating

emil.sekula

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@emil

If you're in XP, click the 'advanced' button inside where you define the job (in task scheduler). More options under there, you can run every minute if you like.

If that is not what you want, Flo's suggestion to create multiple jobs is tedious but will work. To do that, consider this example:

You already have a job named "Hourly" which runs every day at 9:30am. Rename that job to Hourly-0930.

Copy the job and make the new name Hourly-1030. Then edit it and change the time to 10:30am every day.

Repeat until you have however many jobs that run hourly, at the intervals you need.

I suspect if you want hourly the advanced button will be better. If you're using something other than XP and don't see it, it may not be in the same place.

--appyface

@emil

1. I cannot tell from your information, if your task scheduler entry is a good one (will it run?)

2. I cannot tell if starting at 11:08 is in the past (can't start in the past)

Just for testing, edit this task scheduler entry and change it to run just once, at some time in the future (make that at least 5 minutes later from your current system time). DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE BUT THE SCHEDULING. Does it run? If it does then you know the answer to #1 is that it's OK. (If you already did this before changing it to running every 15 minutes you can skip this step)

Now that you are sure it can run, change the schedule back to running every 15 minutes and make sure the first start time is at least five minutes in the future from your current system time.

Also visit the 'settings' tab and make sure you don't have anything marked that would stop the task from running.

Also make sure the check box for enabled is marked (X), and if you also checked the box "only when logged on" make sure the username you have in the runas box, is logged on.

If none of the above solves your problem, I recommend you visit a Windows XP forum for more help, as this is not a Ketarin issue but probably something wrong with your windows installation.

Good luck,

--appyface

When I closed Ketarin it started automatically but when Ketarin is in tray it doesn't work.

I'm sorry emil, I have no idea what you mean when you say this? What is "it started automatically" and what is "Ketarin is in the tray"?

Maybe someone else here can help you, I'm quite lost as to what you're trying to do... sorry...

No, it doesn't work even I have it active: http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqH4ug0.

The above image is correct: the task is active and will run every 15 min starting at 14:21, and there's a confirmation that previous run was at 13:53 (before the scheduled time ? :o). Emil, you changed Ketarin startup time, didn't you ?

P.S.if you want it to run every hour, schedule it to run every 60 minutes; and remember you can only shedule it to run in the future.

When I closed Ketarin it started automatically...

Ketarin is running when is scheduled to, issue is SOLVED, case closed. =)

.... but when Ketarin is in tray it doesn't work.

What he is saying is that scheduler won't run when there's an instance of Ketarin already running (it's the GUI version with the option "minimize to tray" checked): Emil, if you already have an instance of Ketarin running, why do you need a second one ? You don't have 2 Ketarin databases, do you ? What's your point ?

Hope this helps ! ;)

@Flo - I haven't looked at what Ketarin's command line interface looks like (even though I am one who asked for command line long ago :) ) I assume Ketarin will quit when it is done, or there is a switch to tell it it to quit and not leave the GUI up?

@emil

If Ketarin will quit when it is done checking for updates, then maybe you can approach your problem this way.

Instead of Ketarin running "all the time", have Ketarin run, check for updates, then it quits. Then 15 minutes later run Ketarin again, check for updates, and it quits. Then 15 minutes later.... all around the clock, 24 hours a day... example:

1. 10:30am - job starts Ketarin to check for updates

(a few minutes later, Ketarin finishes checking and quits running)

2. 10:45am - job starts Ketarin to check for updates

3. 11:00am - job starts Ketarin to check for updates

This way there is only ONE Ketarin running at a time in the system, and it quits when it is done checking and getting your updates.

If you ever have so many updates that Ketarin does not quit before 15 minutes, you will have two of them trying to run, which will not work, so you must increase the interval to 20 minutes, or 30 minutes... or whatever time Ketarin needs to finish before the next runtime.

Do you have updates that are so important as to require checking every 15 minutes? Maybe one run per hour would be often enough? It looks like you started out by wanting to run it hourly, that could be easier to get working properly.

--appyface

Edited by appyface

Look at the options that are available to you in Task Scheduler. If you haven't yet, do read the help file for Task Scheduler.

Do not create overlapping tasks or more than one Ketarin will be running! Depending on how you set the regular options plus the advanced options, you can cause that so be careful.

Try this. Set the job to run once daily at xx:xx time (example: 10:30am) on the regular options. Then go inside advanced options, repeat every 60 minutes for 24 hours.

The job will start at 10:30am, then will repeat every hour for 24 times. Then the job is done. But because you said run it DAILY at xx:xx time, the job will start up again the next day at the same time and repeat itself every hour for 24 hours.

That is "forever" as far as I can tell... your machine is likely to quit long before "forever" though :-)

This conversation is more appropriate to a windows forum than Ketarin forum though, if you have more questions about the Task Scheduler the folk on one of those forums would be better equipped to help you figure it out.

Good luck!

--appyface

Edited by appyface