Ketarin forum

"Spoof HTTP referrer" issue (302 error) + work-around.

JohnSim3

Hi Flo,

What has been puzzling me for quite some time is a very small issue when checking for updates from for example SourceForge.net.

I'm using a global {version} variable which in case of SourceForge.net applications I most commonly populate from a completely different website that uses SourceForge.net as it's version tracking and file hosting service.

The {version} variable is the variable I use for the "Variable for custom column" option in Ketarin.

By default Ketarin uses the website from which it retrieves the value for the {version} variable as the referrer but when checking the file URL that links to a SourceForge.net server to check the file, a referrer error will occur.

I have found a simple way to work around this issue:

Just enter a single space as the value for the "Spoof HTTP referrer" option.

Linking directly to the SourceForge.net server without any referrer works just fine and adding the single space apparently is enough to 'trick' Ketarin to do just that :)

Just thought I'd share my findings, as it's not really a big issue and the work-around is to say the least doable, but a "Do not use any referrer" option would be great ;)

Many thanks and best regards,

Johnny :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Flo,

Sorry for the late reply :)

I can no longer find the URL that gave me the 302 error, but I have a similar issue with another URL this time giving me a 200 error.

The link I'm referring to would be for a program called "FreePOPS" of which the binary executable is hosted on a sourceforge server.

The php URL that redirects from the FreePops website to the file on the sourceforge server would be this link:

http://www.freepops.org/download.php?os=win

When entering this URL for update checking in Ketaring I get this error message:

08-02-2009 14:17:23: Update started with 1 application(s)

08-02-2009 14:17:26: FreePOPs: Failed, The downloaded file is not a binary file type (text/html). Possibly there is an error page. Status code: 200 (OK)

08-02-2009 14:17:27: Update finished)

When entering 1 single space in the "Spoof HTTP referrer" option, Ketarin log shows this message:

08-02-2009 14:30:07: Update started with 1 application(s)

08-02-2009 14:30:09: FreePOPs: Checking if update is required...

08-02-2009 14:30:09: FreePOPs: Update not required

08-02-2009 14:30:10: Update finished

Hope this helps :)

Thanks and regards,

Johnny