Ketarin forum

KetarinPortable Installer/Wrapper

Voltron43

I've released development test 1 of KetarinPortable; a wrapper/installer for Ketarin using PortableApps.com's platform.

Ketarin Portable is a small application which automatically updates setup packages packaged with a PortableApps.com launcher as a portable app, so you can update your setup packages on your iPod, USB flash drive, portable hard drive, etc. It has all the same features as Ketarin, plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take it with you wherever you go.

http://portableapps.com/node/26670

Please feel free to test it and let me know if you have any suggestions!

I'm sort of confused here.

More what does your wrapper actually add? You only need to have a jobs.db file in the ketarin root folder for it to be perfectly portable save some .net dependencies.

The founder of PortableApps.com, John T. Haller, gives a pretty good explanation in this post.

It's been discussed a few times, see some examples here (portable installer) and here (advantages). Also note that most of the zipped apps we package are not fully portable (some leave registry entries, temp files, file associations, have their most recent files list break, etc). Some apps are fully portable (VirtuaWin, for example), but the format still makes it easier to install into the platform and it works with our built-in updater (zip files do not).

PA.c Format is an open, standardized format for portable software with many advantages over ZIP files (as indicated in the links above).

He also has another post that lists the advantages of the PA.c format:

- Apps packages in a PA.c Installer result in a smaller download for users. Zips are bigger

- Apps packaged in a PA.c Installer can automatically detect and existing PortableApps.com Platform and app installation and offer to install into it

- Apps packaged in PA.c Installer can easily upgrade an existing version of an app to the new version just by installing over the current one. User data is unmodified. Zips don't do this.

- Apps packaged in PA.c Installer have an easy to use, familiar, multilingual wizard helping users install their apps to the right place.

- Apps Packaged in PA.c Installer can automatically install and upgrade when used in association with the PA.c Platform and Updater, even doing installs and updates silently without user prompting

- Apps Packaged in PA.c Format have their data stored in a consistent location (AppNamePortable\Data) for easy backup with something like the PA.c Backup Utility.

- Apps Packaged in PA.c Format can be moved between PCs and have the drive letter change and automatically adjust the internal settings, last used file lists and similar of the app, so they just keep working

- PA.c Format is the most widely used, standardized format for portable software today. It's open source, under an open license and it's free.

- Both the PA.c Launcher to make an app portable and the PA.c Installer to package it up require no coding or changes in code to the base app. They use simple config files.

I hope that helps!

Its really unneeded...

If Author really wanted, he could package it into 7z.sfx wiht nice icon also...

Theres is option to pack executable with UPX and regain more size...

Personally I dont see a point...better developer does hes work at best then...tinking how small he can sqeeze hes app...

~150KB doesnt make that much of a difference to me...

There are much better ways to reduce app or installer size... ;)

Ketarin doesnt write anything into registry...its already portable... ;)

as previously said, you only have to have jobs.db in ketarin folder and your downloads also directed into "portable place"...

Actually your creation seems pretty much useless to me... :rolleyes:

Who wants to make portable application to portable appication...i dont actually understand...

Untill theres isnt something "fishy" in your part of code... :rolleyes:

Edited by Etz