Ketarin forum

Set default download path/folder?

I feel like I'm missing something because this seems like a basic ability that must be there, but I don't see any way to do it. I'd like to be able to set a default directory, perhaps with a {category} subdirectory, for all downloads to go to, so I don't have to manually edit each one and set it. Is that possible?

• 3 weeks later...

I use the following download file pattern for almost all my apps:

..\{category}\{appname:regexreplace:([\s\t\r\n\-\&]+):_}-{version}.{url:ext}

This downloads to the directory above where Ketarin is running from, into a folder named for the Category, using the "Application name" field value, sanitizing it for troublesome characters, then a hyphen and the value of the version (automatically generated in FileHippo downloads, manually parsed otherwise), then a dot and the extension of the file.

Sometimes these rules are inappropriate, for example if it's a tar.gz file or you want to add more information to it, like bit-type or OS compatible version, or if there isn't really a "version" per se. In these cases you just need to modify the template. For files without versions I use a timestamp instead ({f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}T{f:HH}{f:mm}{f:ss}). 

The most important thing is to be consistent. Setting them all up consistently is a heck of a lot easier if you start that way or only have to fix a dozen or two than it is after you have 700+ (speaking from experience).