Ketarin forum

Updating query

da023n

I'm trying to use ketarin to manage the updates for my suite of portable apps. I take it for ketarin to know whether to update a certain application it needs the file it downloaded originally? For example if I download a zip file I need to keep it so ketarin doesn't just re-download it when I press update assuming it needs to update cos it aint there. Or is there a way to point it to the extracted file to check that to see if it needs an update?

I thought it might be possible by pointing ketarin to the file ( {root}\apps\program.exe ) using a command to extract the file version and comparing that to the file version extracted from its download website. If the two match it doesn't download and cancels the operation for that app, if they dont match it downloads as normal.

Obviously it'd probably need to be a script of some sort thats run before it downloads the app but I have no experience in this so dont know if its possible.

You can actually use a script in "command before downloading". If you let it return 1, it will skip the download. I'm not quite sure how you intend to do the version comparison, but you can do pretty much any script you like (or even write a mini application in C# that returns 1 or 0 as exit code).

Cheers floele

Well like Ive said already I'm not programmer but here is what I think solves the problem (I just dont know how to go about doing it):

Ketarin can determine the version number of an app as setup in the "web versions" part where you select the version number in the webpage.

Asuite for most apps is able to retrieve the version number of an exe file once you've added the path pointing it to. Similarly if you go into the properties of an exe file in windows you get a version number. Since they can do it I'm assuming its possible to write a script to do it or maybe the is a cli command to find it.

Once you have the outputs from both of the above one of the following happens:

They get compared; if they are the same (ie 1.0.2 and 1.0.2) it returns a 1 (doesn't download). If they are not the same (ie 1.0.2 and 1.0.3) it returns 0 (download new version).

I'm probably over simplifying this since I have no idea how in reality you could write a script to do the above.