Ketarin forum

Easier way of updating application entry

Stalker

There happens a time when the webmaster decides to totally re-layout the site and you have to update your app entry. Or two. Or 20 of them. Which all relied on a single template. Currently, as far as I know, the quickest way is to simply delete an entry and re-create it from scratch. Not really convenient.

Now I remember the discussion from some time ago about implementing such a feature. Someone from out template masters (:P) have said that he tweaks template for most app entries so just auto-updating them won't work.

While I personally like the method of just keeping template XMLs in some folder and when I update them all entries update automatically I understand that it won't work for everyone. What I suggest is that we have an ability to simply paste updated template XML. All placeholders which match current values take default values from current entry. Otherwise you fill in the blanks manually. While not the most quickest way to update your 100+ entries it sure beats the re-creation of each entry by hand.

Then again, I do love the auto-update version too :)

I guess you are refering to this thread, problem for me and CybTekSol was modified regexes by user input as this sort of automation can be counterproductive. Problem right now is that all new templates created or updated since then use this sort of feature (as new placeholder options were available), see for instance my MajorGeeks, Softpedia or Sourceforge (currently broken) templates. I still edit XMLs with search and replace (grep) utility, that doesn't take long.

All placeholders which match current values take default values from current entry.

Actually ignoring placeholders values (and options) could be the way to do it... but that placeholder information is removed when an application is created. :(

When you update the tempalte you have the template data. The current value is just added to the list of placeholder options (if it's not already present there) and is selected by default.

What is "redirect"?

I meant referrer, sorry.