Ketarin forum

Execute command BEFORE downloading a REQUIRED update

CybTekSol

Florian,

I DESPERATELY need a 'execute command BEFORE downloading update' feature added to Ketarin that would enable me to trigger moving previous versions to my archive folder structure since I archive ALL my downloads. This would prevent the necessity of doing this manually and make it easier to avoid archiving the latest versions prematurely. I have not discovered an easier way of accomplishing this as of yet... suggestions are welcomed. Please add this to the queue if you don't mind! ;) NOTE: An archive previous versions checkbox with the ability to configure it for {archive_folder}\{category}\{file} or something similar would be great!

Edited by CybTekSol

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few questions:

- Will there also be a default command to execute before updating an application feature?

- (How) can I use this feature to archive my downloads? For example, I want to download Ketarin to the file 'Ketarin.exe', but before downloading a new version I want to move the old version to archive\Ketarin_{version} or archive\Ketarin_{f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

- Will there also be a default command to execute before updating an application feature?

2 alternatives: create a template with the command you intend to use OR use the new "default" application feature (1.0.3)

- (How) can I use this feature to archive my downloads? For example, I want to download Ketarin to the file 'Ketarin.exe', but before downloading a new version I want to move the old version to archive\Ketarin_{version} or archive\Ketarin_{f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}. Is this possible?

Use move command with "execute command before DL".

2 alternatives: create a template with the command you intend to use OR use the new "default" application feature (1.0.3)

With these to options I can set a default command for new applications' date=' not for existing ones. Or am I wrong?!

- (How) can I use this feature to archive my downloads? For example' date=' I want to download Ketarin to the file 'Ketarin.exe', but before downloading a new version I want to move the old version to [i']archive\Ketarin_{version}[/i] or archive\Ketarin_{f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}. Is this possible?

Use move command with "execute command before DL".

Yeah, I know the move command ;). But I don't know a variable for the previous version of the file. The {file} variable outputs the location for the new version of the file.

BTW, is there a variable for the filename only (that is, not the full path)?

1. Yep, it's for new apps only. For existing jobs use Edit window OR export app(s) XML, insert command, and import XML back to Ketarin.

2. There is no such variable; what you can do is to use something like {target}\{category}\{appname}_{version}.{url:ext} OR {target}\{category}\{url:basefile}_{version}.{url:ext} with "save to file", and before update, move previous file into your "archive\Ketarin_{f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}\ "

3. {url:basefile}. But Ketarin no longer resolves filename in GUI. See variables list in Documentation.

@hherrie,

I am currently using the move command with path and partial filename of the existing file (everything except version) with wildcards, so I agree there could be a more efficient solution... but at least I now have that ability in Ketarin as it was impossible before. I'm sure Flo will improve on this feature in future releases. ;)

Flo,

Ideally... from my viewpoint, as hherrie suggested, an 'Archive file before downloading' function that would accept global settings such as {archive_root_folder}{category}{previous_version_filename} so that it would mirror my C:\DownLoad\Latest DownLoads folder structure to C:\DownLoad\Archived DownLoads for example. In this manner, I could establish a global variable for {archive_root_folder}=C:\DownLoad\Archived DownLoads, and simply 'tick a box' for those apps that I wish to archive, which for me is the majority of them. ;)

I'm not too fond of that. I guess everyone has his own way of archiving stuff. Some may use copy, same may want to use 7zip...add a timestamp, keep X backups, whatever. A default command for "pre-update" needs to be added anyway for consistency reasons.

I'm not too fond of that.
:(
I guess everyone has his own way of archiving stuff. Some may use copy' date=' same may want to use 7zip...add a timestamp, keep X backups, whatever.[/quote']Agreed... and I do to... but for novice users, hherrie's and my suggestion would make it easier for them.
A default command for "pre-update" needs to be added anyway for consistency reasons.
Wondermous!