Ketarin forum

Make {appname} a pre-defined variable

kwe

I'd like to define the global variable {root} as something like D:\Downloads and override the default. Then I could define my download path as {root}\{category}\{appname}\ if {appname} existed for each database entry. Would it be possible to create a pre-defined variable like {appname} that corresponds to the first field in the Edit box?

It would be nice if you could define some buttons so I could easily paste these pre-defined variables into the Download Location with a few clicks.

Thanks for a great tool.

You could create your own variable instead of redefining {root}. For example I have {DEST_DIR} defined as D:\Distrib and all my apps are downloaded to {DEST_DIR}\{category}\

As for {appname} it would be good to have it because I would really like to have all my applications saved to something like {DEST_DIR}\{category}\{appname}_v{version}.{url:ext}

I like your advice about {root}. I'll have to experiment a little more and see if that can help me use the same XML config file on both my desktop and USB drive by using the pre-defined {root} global variable.

So I'm thinking {root}{repository}\{category}\{appname} would be a good name for the application folder. {repository} could be a user-defined global variable and the others are pre-defined. If {root} varies by the location of ketarin executable as I think it does, then I wouldn't have to worry about USB drive letters changing from one machine to another.

{appname} is exactly what I am looking for so I can make a log of updated applications with something like

{appname} >> C:\ketarinupdates.txt

My goal is to include Ketarin in a batch script I activate at the end of the day to clean, optimize, backup and shutdown my system. Since I walk away from it I need to some way of being notified the next morning on startup that updates took place.

Edited by mazzthepianoman