Ketarin forum

Custom Naming Conventions

StarWolf

I really like the idea of this software, and as well as it being open-source, but I was wandering what could make this software better! Most of the features I see in it are very doable and useful. This will save a lot of work, and was thinking of making my own software to do this, but as I am not a coder it would take forever.

I was hoping that, hopefully soon, you could setup custom naming conventions. Basically when the file downloads it will either a) rename the file with the version number appended, as many pieces of software do not have a version number just ei:"setup.exe" or some other name that is hard to distinguish or B) create your own custom tags that would be appended to the file name, such as "CCleaner v#.##.#### where the file name would be replaced by "CCleaner v2.15.815" rather than "ccsetup215.exe" as the download. I do not think this would be very difficult to implement, as when Ketarin checks for version numbers and downloads it, no?

And also could settings be saved in a .ini file? Where are the settings currently stored in? "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ketarin\jobs.db"?

Anyone else think this would be a great idea?

And I am sorry if a topic of this was already said, did not search that in depth.

---Edit---

I just read that jobs.db can be stored in where Ketarin.exe is stored and will be read. I think this should be standard just to avoid confusion for those that want to make this portable easier.

And also I was wandering if Ketarin updates will that affect the jobs.db?

Edited by StarWolf

Unless I'm gravely misunderstanding what you mean, custom naming conventions are already pretty much fully implemented. When setting up a job, under the 'Download Location' heading, you can specify 'Save to file' and have it rename the downloaded file to whatever you want. Most of mine are set up in this manner. For example, Cain & Abel's setup file is called simply ca_setup.exe, so I have Ketarin scrape the version from the download page and rename the downloaded file to "Cain & Abel {Version}.exe". Ketarin replaces the 'version' variable with the version it scraped from the download page and voila!

I am sorry for all of this, but I am new to Ketarin, but from what I see I already told most of my tech friends, and at least some absolutely love it!

Can we expect to see maybe a database of sites or files that have static downloads? There are just those few files that I can not seem to get.

And also if you export your list to an .xml file will that file be affected by future updates? I would assume no, but who knows what major changes will come around.

Only "{version}" seems to work, and not {Version}. And it only seems to work on filehippo downloads. Which is fine, but is their anyway to get version numbers on those files that may not have them? Because I would prefer to download say the Slim version of CCleaner which is available here: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim , but Ketarin does not pick up the version number. Also filehippo does not carry 64-bit builds. Sorry for the stupid questions. Just want to see what can or cannot be done.

Are there a list of commands available? Can a list of such commands on the main page or somewhere else and where what command can be implemented?

Time to love Ketarin!

Thanks for the awesome support guys!

The XML should be quite back- and forward compatible. The variables are case sensitive. For non FileHippo downloads, you'll have to define {version} yourself. There also is an online database where you can import existing applications defined by other people.

What do you expect as commands? All there is to Ketarin is explained in the tutorial. With these few features, you can already do virtually anything ;)