Ketarin forum

How to Stop Security Warnings when running from Network Share

eangulus

Hi,

I recently have had Ketarin running perfectly on USB with the install feature also under default windows 7 installs. So long as I run Ketarin as Administrator the installation files don't prompt for install.

Now I would like to run Ketarin from a Network Share. Just tried it out and it now has a Open File - Security Warning for each and every install. And I did run Ketarin as Administrator.

Is there an easy way to stop this from happening? I would prefer to do it on Ketarin side as I don't want to add to my install time by tweaking the OS to suit. This might sound pathetic but I am doing dozens of installs a day so it all adds up.

If there is nothing I can do with Ketarin, then is there a batch file or something I can make to adjust the security restriction then run Ketarin?

UAC off?

Its not UAC issue...

Win 7 doesn't detect Local Intranet properly, this is how to fix it:

Open Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security Tab

Then select Local Intranet and click on Sites button, in next window open advanced and add your NAS or Network Share ip to Intranet sites.

Problem solved, no more prompts.

Actually this issue occures only with Home versions of Win 7, Proffesional and Ultimate detect those settings fine automatically if in Domain.

Of course, in enterprise IT networks, sites in the intranet zone have to just work exactly like they do today. IE7 will check if the machine has joined a domain. If a machine has joined a domain, as you would expect, IE7 will automatically detect intranet sites and run them with settings for the Intranet zone.

There will be cases where IE might not detect an enterprise IT network correctly. For example, a PC might be on a workgroup rather than a domain or it may not have joined the domain. For those cases, network admins will be able to set group policy on the settings for the Intranet to make sure that IE behaves as they wish. Even if the network admin can’t set policy, IE will show an information bar when visiting a probable intranet site. If a user wants to re-enable their intranet zone, they’ll be able to.

Had a same problem, took me a while to figure it out ;)

Another option would be disable that "notification" via group policy editor, which unfortunately Home editions doesnt have.

You cannot fix it from Ketarin side, because its a OS bug/feature, call it as you like :D

Edited by Etz

You can use a Reg file to accomplish the same thing, though. Here's the one I use on all my home network computers:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap]
"UNCAsIntranet"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\mycomputer]
"file"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\myothercomputer]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\yetanothercomputer]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\andanother]

This allows me to simply import the reg file, then run any executables I need to from shared drives from each of those devices.

You can use a Reg file to accomplish the same thing, though.

There is a small "annoying" limitation. You can use that Reg after install, but cannot integrate those settings into Unattended Installer.

Windows 7 resets all security settings including registry ones into default during setup.

Still, not a bad idea doing it via Registry after install, instead of "surfing" menus... :D

I use the REGEDIT4 header even on my Vista + Win7 machines. I've never had any problems.

If you import the reg file BEFORE you open Ketarin, it'll be a persistent system-wide setting - so regardless of how you run the installer from one of those sources, it'll work just fine. I developed this method due to the increased security of IE7, and have been using it successfully since (even on client machines that need access to my shared installers).