Ketarin forum

Run downloads

morc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Some of my commands stopped working,

Log:

04-01-2009 23:47:09: Replacing {7z} in '{uni} {file} %temp% & md {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm {7z}' with 'd:\7z\'
04-01-2009 23:47:09: Replacing {uni} in '{uni} {file} %temp% & md d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z\' with 'c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe'
04-01-2009 23:47:09: Portable 7-Zip: Executing command: c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp% & md d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z\
04-01-2009 23:47:11: Portable 7-Zip: Command result: D:\Ketarin>c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp% & md d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z\ & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z\
O sistema nÆo conseguiu localizar o ficheiro especificado.

Not sure why, when, how... I'm currently using lastest build, x.19... and also out of ideas to solve this one. First part of command is executed (c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp%), the files are all placed in %temp% but the following copy/move operations are no longer executed...

Hello floele,

As far as I know, && is a conditional combination. I replaced the symbols but the result is the same

05-01-2009 14:14:48: Replacing {7z} in 'md {7z} & {uni} {file} %temp% && copy /y %temp%\7z.exe {7z} && copy /y %temp%\7z.dll {7z} && copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm {7z}' with 'd:\7z\'
05-01-2009 14:14:48: Replacing {uni} in 'md d:\7z\ & {uni} {file} %temp% && copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z\ && copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z\ && copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z\' with 'c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe'
05-01-2009 14:14:48: Portable 7-Zip: Executing command: md d:\7z\ & c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp% && copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z\ && copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z\ && copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z\
05-01-2009 14:14:50: Portable 7-Zip: Command result: D:\Ketarin>md d:\7z\ & c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp% && copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z\ && copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z\ && copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z\

Ketarin keeps saying it cannot locate file, but files are there (in %temp%); and if I open a command prompt and try to copy or move files, I get no error. Maybe the sequence is just to fast ? But it used to work !

OK, this is what I have been doing over the weekend:

1) & or && gives me the same result;

2) the diference is, &&, being conditional, will stop after the first failure;

3) if I run copy {file} after dowload, it works;

4) if I run copy {file1} & copy {file2} after dowload, it works;

5) if I run copy {file1} & move {file2} after dowload (or any other command), it works;

6) now if I associate universal extractor & copy {file}, copy doesn't work;

Update:

a) I have reproduced this issue with command line: the problem is that copy is executed BEFORE uniextract, so no files are available to copy/move when copy command is executed;

B) I know I can use the "choice" or "timeout" commands to solve this issue, but these are Vista only commands;

c) do you know any similar commands that work in Vista & XP (or another workaround) ? =D

Edited by FranciscoR

Yep, 7z works fine for me too, but I cannot use it to extract files from installers.

I have to introduce a 5 sec delay (or something). If I change expression to something like "{uni} (...) & timeout /t 5 /nobreak & copy (...)" I get no error, neither in windows, neither in Ketarin, and I am also not prompted to press any key to continue. File is copied after running uni. Problem is, "timeout" is a Vista only command and I would like to make it compatible with XP also... "pause" has no silent switches... "xcopy" has no retry like "robocopy"...

I will look into this. Thanks again ! ;)

Done now ! ;)

05-01-2009 19:33:38: Replacing {7z} in 'md {7z} & start "" /wait {uni} {file} %temp% & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm {7z}' with 'd:\7z'
05-01-2009 19:33:38: Replacing {uni} in 'md d:\7z & start "" /wait {uni} {file} %temp% & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z' with 'c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe'
05-01-2009 19:33:38: Portable 7-Zip: Executing command: md d:\7z & start "" /wait c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp% & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z
05-01-2009 19:33:40: Portable 7-Zip: Command result: D:\Ketarin>md d:\7z & start "" /wait c:\progra~1\uniextract\uniextract.exe "D:\Programas\7z464.exe" %temp% & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe d:\7z & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll d:\7z & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm d:\7z
       1 ficheiro(s) copiado(s).

But my commands are getting larger and larger and I don't think I will be writing a bunch of batch files to move arround; if you don't wan't to increase the command box because of the GUI aesthetic (I think), how about allowing global variables to refer other global variables ? :rolleyes:

I want to create a var {c}= & copy /y %temp%\7z.exe {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7z.dll {7z} & copy /y %temp%\7-zip.chm {7z}, but currently this doesn't work because {7z} is not replaced with my var value d:\7z.

I'll make that box bigger soon enough, that is, when there is some kind of extra settings tab or the like so that the clutter is reduced somewhat. I just want to avoid some kind of "skyscraper dialog" ;)

I haven't tried this yet, but would it be possible to run a command batch file (eg, install.bat)? If so, would you run those commands through a parser so that your Ketarin variables can be used in the batch file or could you make the Ketarin variables DOS environment variables? It doesn't really matter since all these variables can be re-created in commands in the batch file.

If it is possible to run standard command batch files, then I can post examples of how to run installs from batch files that check installed version number, use msi transforms, uninstall previous versions, and on and on.

I know you don't want to turn Ketarin into an automated updater, but there is a lot you can do with batch files to automate installation after you download a new file. In fact, once you see how it's done with DOS commands or if you want to use VBScript or PowerShell, automated installation follows one of a few standard templates.

I know, you can always launch the installer manually and click buttons, but most of your users are pretty geeky and might enjoy automating the installation process. :-) It would also make it easier to share the app with grandma. Windows Steady State is a Microsoft application for managing public workstations that permits running custom update scripts. I plan to see how Ketarin works with Steady State, probably next month. That would be a hands-free update process capability.