Ketarin forum

Praise and Q:Hide Ketarin Window while install?

Ambimind

What a useful program this is! As I see it, its primary value is as an easy to manage software catalog - fully portable, highly customizable and best of all allowing for ordered software installation.

Indeed, I've created entries to programs who's sole purpose is to apply registry changes and manipulate files; programs which never check for updates online.

An example of how I use it:

Since most of the software I employ is not silently installable and if it is, not customizable enough, I have compiled into .exe's, for each program, small Autoit scripts which reliably automate the installation. Its these scripts/exe's that I run with : {startuppath}\Unattended \CCleaner.exe with argument:"{file}"

The scripts are written so that they can adapt to windows titles with varying version numbers, button text and are resolution independent - thus they require rare updating. Ketarin's special variables were key to this being possible!

Question:

While programs are installing the Ketarin window is made to stay maximized. I can see how this is useful when performing silent installs however it only introduces potential problems when performing unattended installs: Is there some where to hide it during installation?

Thank you

Thanks tomorrow, not quite what I was looking for however.

Something new:

Yesterday, after having setup a list of apps, tested locally, I visited a customer with the hope of using Katerin to speed things up. Nothing worked. And the messages I get are baffling:

1 - Sometimes I'll get: "Failed, The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.filehippo.com'" - when I'm pressing the install button, while I'm connected to the internet and not.

2 - Other times : "The operation has timed out" - for the same application, using install.

3 - Still othertimes: Ketarin will decide that it wants to re-download an application when there are no updates.

To say the least , it made the whole operation a great deal more difficult and time consuming. I hope this is entirely my fault, however after some testing this seems unlikely. During my tests I found that the applications that did work only had "{file}" as the run command.

Edited by Ambimind

Looks like Ketarin couldn't find the local files on your computer so tried to dl them instead to install.

When you hit the install button Ketarin first goes

Check for local file - > file not found so i'll download OR file found i'll proceed with instructions.

You may have moved all your folders to a different location than where Ketarin originally downloaded them to.

Hi Omniferum,

Indeed I did move the entire directory, that is - I have a folder "StandardInstall" which contains all the folder categories and a special folder called "CONTROL" - where Ketarin lives. I've also moved the database file into the CONTROL folder.

My expectation was that having structured things this way I could move StandardInstall around as I wished, and Ketarin would orient itself. This is a false expectation?

Edited by Ambimind

So long as where you download the files to, in your case let's say D:\StandardInstall, stays constant as a path (Drive letter unimportant) Ketarin shouldn't have a problem.

If you move it from D:\StandardInstall to D:\Pony\StandardInstall it will have a problem. But from D:\StandardInstall to G:\StandardInstall would be fine.

Ketarin doesn't look for your files wherever they are, only where it knew where they were last. Sorta dependent on folder locations though.

If you added {startuppath} to your download location to make

{startuppath}StandardInstall

Then you wouldn't ahve to worry about anything assuming you had the folder structure of

Control\ketarin.exe

Control\StandardInstall

Then you could move the control folder wherever you wanted to.