Ketarin forum

Downloaded File Type

Kerberos

I'm not sure if this should be considered a bug or a feature request, and frankly I'm surprised nobody has said anything yet (unless I just didn't notice) about it. When setting the target location to file and specifying a filename, the downloaded file is arbitrarily renamed to whatever is specified as the target file.

This works great as long as you know what file type will be downloaded. I realize that Softpedia hasn't been natively implemented in the official build yet, but one problem with this approach is that some download sites (such as Softpedia) can link to a number of different file types. One application could be an .exe installer, while another could be a .zip archive. Not only that, but if you simply aren't paying attention, you could end up with a few .exe installers that are renamed to .zip files which then won't work, and you may have no clue as to why. I, personally, don't pay as much attention as I probably could and have done this a few times already actually.

It's not a big problem, and with a little bit of effort and enough attention the problem can be avoided entirely. It's easy enough to just go to each Softpedia download page and check what file type is offered (except in the rare case that it says "[exe]" but the actual file is a .zip, which I've already seen once so far). It might not even be worth the effort to do anything about it, but I thought I'd put it out there anyways. The easiest solution I can think of relies on the assumed fact that nobody in their right mind would actually want a file of one type renamed with a different extension. A simple comparison of the downloaded file's type against the target file extension to make sure they match would do the job. If they're different, it could just change the target file's extension to match the downloaded file's type.