Ketarin forum

Application update ToDo list on your desktop

mazzthepianoman

Using the following as a default command to execute on application updates produces a text file on your desktop of the applications that were updated. Just replace USERNAME with your username so it points to your desktop. I use this on a Windows XP Pro machine.

ECHO {appname} >> "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Updates.txt"

I find this very useful because I now include the command line execution of Ketarin in a daily shutdown script for my machine. This way I am notified of new applications that are available. The script will continue to append the text file so you'll want to delete it after you have updated your applications.

Interesting, I use

dir {target}/o:e-s > {target}\dir1.txt

to keep an updated list, sorted by extension and size, w/larger files on top, of all files in my download directory (overwriting previous contents). Another one I like, and I could be using if I had files organized by category (with specific folders) is

tree {target}/f /a > {target}\dir1.txt

tree "some_folder" /f /a gives you something like:

2jcy5qu.png

@mazzthepianoman:

I changed your command just a bit, to include the date & time of the downloaded file:

echo %DATE% %TIME% {appname} >> {target}\Updates.txt

Final script:

dir {target}/o:e-s /s > {target}\List.txt & echo %DATE% %TIME% {appname} >> {target}\Updates.txt

Edited by FranciscoR

@mazzthepianoman:

I changed your command just a bit, to include the date & time of the downloaded file:

echo %DATE% %TIME% {appname} >> {target}\Updates.txt

Final script:

dir {target}/o:e-s /s > {target}\List.txt & echo %DATE% %TIME% {appname} >> {target}\Updates.txt

FranciscoR,

I have done almost the same as your final script, but added {version} behind {appname} which allows me to easily disable those downloads that constantly update even though the version has not changed... which is annoying... ;)

Yeah I don't do much scripting but I had a feeling what I did was scalable. With only about 30 apps, none affected by the always update bug, my script is good enough for me and popping the text file on the desktop lets me know in the morning right away what I need to update. I have Ketarin run automatically before shutdown at night while I am away from the computer along with jkdefrag, ccleaner, and JungleDisk backup to my Amazon S3 space.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent little tip but can you possibly help me figure out what I am doing wrong here, if I use:

dir {target}/o:e-s /s > {target}\List.txt & echo %DATE% %TIME% {appname} >> {target}\{category}\Updates.txt

the log shows the Updates.txt in the correct path (in the category folder) but does not actually write the file I get the first part of the Category name in the {target} with no file ext I tried to fiddle but am befuddled??

I would like to use this to keep a List.txt in the main download dir and then use 'something' to write an Updates to each category (which I imagine I would need to add to each application in the category) does that make sense??

I'd say you can use 2 commands =), but this is not really needed,

dir {target}/o:e-s /s > {target}\List.txt 

as a "default command to execute after update", and

echo %DATE% %TIME% {appname}_{version} >> {target}\{category}\Updates.txt

as "execute command after downloading". {category} works as expected,

11-02-2009 22:52:35,46 WinRar_3.80 

You can also replace {appname} with {url:basefile}.{url:ext} but I fail to see why first the command doesn't work for you; {target} for me is a global variable, not a pre-defined one, it's my download folder location.

Edited by FranciscoR

Fathomed it duh, my folders have spaces when I tried it with path/to/folder it work flawlessly if I used path/to folder/ it fails would it be possible for you to advise how I can handle the spaces (as these are my Cats) or will it be easier to use single folders?

Essentially, from the command-line or within batch files folders containing spaces have to be enclosed in quotes [ i.e. "C:\My Downloads" ] unless DOS (8+3) format is used, however, Florian addressed this within variables in a previous release. I cannot recall the details, however, I experimented with my configuration and figured out when they were needed (or not). My suggestion is to search the forum for this thread or play with it and see what works for your particular situation. UPDATE: As it turns out, I use quotes to define my variables that are used within the 'execute command' field within Ketarin. [ i.e. {home} = "C:\DownLoad\Latest DownLoads" and {logs} = "C:\DownLoad\Latest DownLoads\_Logs" ] Hope this helps. ;)

Fathomed it duh' date=' my folders have spaces when I tried it with path/to/folder it work flawlessly if I used path/to folder/ it fails would it be possible for you to advise how I can handle the spaces (as these are my Cats) or will it be easier to use single folders?[/quote']

Essentially, from the command-line or within batch files folders containing spaces have to be enclosed in quotes [ i.e. "C:\My Downloads" ] unless DOS (8+3) format is used, however, Florian addressed this within variables in a previous release. I cannot recall the details, however, I experimented with my configuration and figured out when they were needed (or not). My suggestion is to search the forum for this thread or play with it and see what works for your particular situation. UPDATE: As it turns out, I use quotes to define my variables that are used within the 'execute command' field within Ketarin. [ i.e. {home} = "C:\DownLoad\Latest DownLoads" and {logs} = "C:\DownLoad\Latest DownLoads\_Logs" ] Hope this helps. ;)

You are a start m8 thank, command line is something I have long forgot but have been experimenting I have it working by simply adding an + in my cats for now but it's all good to know.