Ketarin forum

/install and /export and xml files

Guest Codee

Guest Codee

Hi

First, thanks for an awesome program. I've muddled through and am almost at a place where I can run automatic application updates by using Ketarin and some scripts I've written. There is one missing piece however. So far I have:

a) My scripts end up with a text file of applications that should be updated based on the version installed on the PC and the version Ketarin has downloaded. Let's call this file MustUpdate.txt for easier reference later on.

B) Ketarin which allows me to install based on the /install=FILENAME.xml

My question is, how do I get an xml file, in the correct format, from the text output of my script?

I have thought of 2 ways of approaching this but haven't been able to find what I need in the wiki or in the forum (or it's there but I'm just not getting it).

1) Execute a command after download of an update application that outputs the xml for that application. However, this post suggests it is not possible - is this true, as in, are we talking about the same thing? Instead, I could run a global command that outputs the entire application list, run some more scripts to modify it to only include the applications in the MustUpdate.txt and then use a this new xml as my update.xml file. But what is that global command? I think I know where it goes but don't know what it is. How do I do it?

2) Do not use Ketarin for installing anything, only use it to unpack/unzip/modify some settings and use something else. But I would like it to be clean and not have so many applications involved in the process.

Are there any other ways you can think of?

Your help is appreciated,

Thank you

Codee

Hi, Codee,

Ketarin can be used to install the updates directly - you don't really need to use the hack of exporting the list then reimporting the installation set.

Personally, I manage updates on hundreds of computers and use Ketarin to download the updates but install them manually on each machine because they're not homogenous. If the machines were all the same and all needed the same software, that would be one thing, but pretty much every computer has different software and needs...some want addons, others don't.

So I use a combination of batch files, robocopy and pattern matching on the destination computers to check for each update, then copy the applicable installers/files to the computer for installation - and manually install them once there.

-Shawn

Guest Codee

Thanks for your reply Shawn. As far as I can tell, using Ketarin to install the application will mean that it will install all the applications in the list.

I don't want this. I want it to be a totally hands off, automated approach.

For example, if a PC does not have iTunes, then I don't want it to install, but I would like it to install onto another PC that does have iTunes already, but only if the downloaded version is later than the installed one.

How do I implement a global command to export the list after all applications are updated? I know to go to File-->Setings-->Commands tab-->'After updating all applications', but the actual command to export is what I am unsure of.