Ketarin forum

Guest Tom

i would like a profile option

something that i could select what i want downloaded

I have a lot of program, some i need updated every day some i don't need to do it for a few months

I have 2 copies of Ketarin on on a usb stick and one on a usb hard drive.

I have to update the link every once in a while which means i have to go though the links again and shut them off.

or update the link on 2 database.

If we had a option that we could create profiles like "emergency update" "monthly update" "full update"

and if we could also put variable in the profiles that could move the download path. like "%kpath%"

%kpath% = C:\

%kpath% = D:\

%kpath% = \

i am trying to make a it that could update the software on a computers installation dir.

and make a quick download of antivirus tools before going to a customers site for a viruses.

Hm, I see. What about using different categories for that purpose? You could filter by category and then update all applications that match the filter. Would not help with the download path though.

You could use environment variables for this and then launch Ketarin with a different value for this environment variable per batch script.

Hi, Tom!

There are a couple ways to do this already.

First, make sure you're using a "neighbor" database. That is, if you put the jobs.db file next to the ketarin.exe, it'll process the records from within that jobs file. If you make a different jobs database for your "emergency", "monthly" and "full" profiles, you'll be able to open ketarin with the database and silent switches to perform only those updates.

Second, you can sort or group by pretty much anything, including text variables you assign to each app profile. This gives you the flexibility of categories while also enabling you to maintain the functionality of having everything in one place. I use a dedicated variable specific to this purpose, and you'll probably find my variables on app profiles you download from the online database (snotes, sdownload, schangelog, swebsite, stag, and spc). These are each used for different purposes on my systems locally, but don't inhibit their use by others. You can do the same with your own app profiles. And if you need to, you can bulk edit them by exporting a large selection of apps to XML and editing them in an XML editor directly.

Third, DON'T USE FULL PATHS! One of the biggest problems I noticed right away when I started using Ketarin...wow, years ago (thanks Flo!)... is that my download path of "c:\downloads\" sucked. It was never friendly to a portable installation or a USB key since the drive letter wasn't 100% reliable. INSTEAD, use a relative path. Ketarin will simply download the target to a relative path/filename. For my downloads, I use this target file name:

.\{category}\{appname:regexreplace:([\s\t\r\n\\&\/]+):_}-{version}.{url:ext}

This ensures that the downloads will be dropped into categorically named folders where the Ketarin.exe file is. Works like a charm.