Ketarin forum

Managing large databases

FranciscoR

Hi,

I have been looking for a tool to manage my Ketarin database, which is a bit large right now. I have tried doing this with Notepad ++, but the problem is the database gets corrupted after saving. But my idea is to search for some regular expression and replace it with another expression, value, symbol...

82931484rg3.png

This is the error message, similar to the Ketarin error output:

errosqlitespyoc1.png

I also did some experiences with several sqlite managers, like sqlite spy, but although these can be handy to edit cells on one-by-one basis, I don't think I will be using these for the above purpose, as sql sintax (I'm not an expert, correct me if I'm worng) only allows me to replace the contents of a whole cell (or a group of cells), and not a part of a cell...

sqlitespymg8.png

Any ideas/suggestions ?

First of all: Never *ever* try editing an SQLite database with Notepad or the like. It's not like an XML file! That'd be the same as if you edited Ketarin.exe with Notepad.

Secondly: What exactly do you want to "manage"?

A suggestion: Export everything to XML, edit it and import it again. There shouldn't be any loss of information. If there is, I'd need to fix that bug.

Never *ever* try editing an SQLite database with Notepad or the like. It's not like an XML file! That'd be the same as if you edited Ketarin.exe with Notepad.

OK, thanks, like I said, I'm not an expert. :P :p :P

What exactly do you want to "manage"?

A group of fields... regarding commands, for instance, if I want to introduce a new switch, change an existing one, attach a new command to every command field, currently I have to do this on a one-by-one basis, which is time-consuming with a large database (this is not a critique) and not error-less given that everything is keyed manually over 70 fields (in my case).

A suggestion: Export everything to XML, edit it and import it again. There shouldn't be any loss of information. If there is, I'd need to fix that bug.

Awesome, I'll try this. Thanks !

Preferably, no thumbs and in particular no imageshack. I hate it for it's non existent speed.

Please make sure that your editor adds a byte order mark (also called BOM) and saves the XML als UTF-8. Notepad2 for example does this reliably.

What other image host do you prefer ?

I'm still unable to import .xml.

You're correct, it was encoded as ANSI, but changing output to UTF-8 with or without BOM, using Notepad, Notepad++ or Notepad2, always produces the same error message. My latest "test" was to re-import a *complete* .xml immediatly after exporting, and the error message is exactly the same. If I export only *1* job, .xml import also fails with the same error.

FranciscoR,

I've been successfully editing exported XMLs and then importing them for days... I'm using PSPad which is available at most download sites and is freeware. It also appears to be able to handle the database file, it loads and displays well... you may want to try it. ;)

@ floele: latest 0.9.9.20 is perfect !!!!!!!!! Boy, you are really fast, are you setting world records or something ?

@ CybTekSol: thanks for the Pspad tip indeed, my first impression is that code explorer, autocomplete and code popups could be most handy to insert new commands or change existing one's, even batch mass-production seems very easy with this one; but this is quite an advanced program which I need to learn, I think for now I'll stick to Notepad2 as floele suggested, it is very intuitive, and as lots of features for it's size ! ;)

Regarding database import under Pspad: I can only open DB as HEX, and change sintax option is greyed :/ , so XML export-import seems a better option, as flo suggested (again). Thanks again !

Edited by FranciscoR

Yes I saw that too, they are even cloning parts of your tutorial... but they have 50.000 readers ! Ketarin goes beyond ALL pre-existing SUMs, it's a well deserved fame !

Actually, it has already been mentioned on LifeHacker as well.

And Rarst.

Is there any world record I could try to set?

It's just my way of saying that your are the fastest programmer I'm aware of, you're magical !

Anybody tried googling Ketarin? Downloadsquad.com, appscout.com, technobuzz.net, ditii.com, zepy.net, wakoopa.com, elanso.com, k840.com, slackerology.com, fav.or.it, technews.am. The list goes on and on. This is spreading very nicely, and quite frankly I completely understand why. Congrats Flo, you really have something here :)

Edited by Kerberos