Ketarin forum

Forum Topic Category Requests

CybTekSol

Florian,

Is it possible to add a "User-contributed Regular Expressions Tutorial and/or Solutions" section to the forum for users to share their regex solutions to a specific difficult download situation that they have encountered or tutorial overviews that could increase the average user's application of regular expressions in Ketarin? It would possibly make it easier for users to find solutions targeted at regex usage integration questions.

Also, I have spent many hours creating a "categorized downloads directory structure" .ZIP file and a "custom Ketarin Jobs.db file" with nearly 200 entries using this downloads directory structure that I would love to share with any user that is interested if it is possible to create a forum category for such a purpose (configuration sharing) and provide the bandwidth.

THANKS for your consideration!

Sure it's possible. If we bring a certain amount of examples, a separate forum is best.

I currently have no place for sharing files (like your XML export), but you could upload it to some of those upload sites for the time being.

Florian,

Is it possible to add a "User-contributed Regular Expressions Tutorial and/or Solutions" section to the forum for users to share their regex solutions to a specific difficult download situation that they have encountered or tutorial overviews that could increase the average user's application of regular expressions in Ketarin? It would possibly make it easier for users to find solutions targeted at regex usage integration questions.

Also, I have spent many hours creating a "categorized downloads directory structure" .ZIP file and a "custom Ketarin Jobs.db file" with nearly 200 entries using this downloads directory structure that I would love to share with any user that is interested if it is possible to create a forum category for such a purpose (configuration sharing) and provide the bandwidth.

THANKS for your consideration!

Wow, you've been busier than this new user. I just wanted to comment that the most useful regular expression I could use right now is one that matches a particular string and then matches another string to start the variable selection, followed by the string to demarc the end of the variable. This works just like the current buttons except that there is a new first button that says in effect "start looking for the demarc string only after you find this string". Very useful for example to find the part of the web page that refers to Windows rather than Linux and then to search for the version number.

Anybody using any variables other than {version} and {url}? I could think of {appname} but Florian already agreed to define that per-app from the name that you put in the Edit box.

I'd love to see your configs. Do they use a lot of FileHippo or "straight to the source"?

kwe,

I have almost all of the FileHippo downloads... plus quite a few others that I use regularly for system builds and I'm busy at improving the selection daily as Ketarin is revolutionizing the way I build and maintain PCs! My goal is to have this database to 500 "must-haves" in the next couple of months... time permitting of course. As for variables, I also use {truncate} as described in my other post and {special} as a "catch all" for unusual circumstances that I may encounter on some of the app developer's individual sites... I'm refining (and learning) all this as I go ;-)

Florian,

Thanks for your reply... I know you are probably very busy with all this and want you to know how much I APPRECIATE your effort!! Any way you think is best... I will do all I can to help. My son is a web developer in his spare time and may be able to provide a site and bandwidth for the Ketarin XML export sharing, etc. ... I'll discuss it with him and get back to you.

I don't need bandwidth or a server, since Ketarin is "supported" by CDBurnerXP. We already have two powerful servers with plenty of bandwidth ;)

I was just referring to the XML export sharing part... I'll probably just provide a link to mine on my home page provided by my ISP if anyone is interested in using it...

Edited by CybTekSol

I just thought about this stuff a little more: I think we should create a new category and determine one or two voluntary moderators (not me) who care about it. That would mean: Move inappropriate topics out, move appropriate topics in and modify posted topics so that they all have some kind of "tutorial" style and are consistent. The XML could be attached as code-section to the bottom, since it usually is not *that* big (for one application).

I just thought about this stuff a little more: I think we should create a new category and determine one or two voluntary moderators (not me) who care about it. That would mean: Move inappropriate topics out, move appropriate topics in and modify posted topics so that they all have some kind of "tutorial" style and are consistent. The XML could be attached as code-section to the bottom, since it usually is not *that* big (for one application).

I think this is a SPLENDID idea... if you get the time to set it up and get it going I would be willing to volunteer a few hours a week to help moderate it if you can use my services ;-)

I just wanted to comment that the most useful regular expression I could use right now is one that matches a particular string and then matches another string to start the variable selection, followed by the string to demarc the end of the variable.

Hi kwe,

If I understand you, you want a regex similar to one I use quite a bit. Easiest way for you to see it is to try it. Rather than post here, I'll go post an example and mini-tutorial over in the new Resources forum. Please have a look over there. I hope it is helpful to you.

Best regards,

--appyface