Ketarin forum

Persistent status column value

appyface

Each time I launch Ketarin I always see "Idle" in the status column. Could that be the status value from the last update attempt instead, preserved across multiple Ketarin launches?

(Apologies if this has already been discussed... I ran several searches but missed finding, please point me if so.)

Kind regards,

--appyface

Ketarin currently shows exactly what I want -- the status of the last update attempt (updated, no update, failed) -- as long as that occurred during the current launch of Ketarin EXE. Ketarin doesn't show "Idle" once an attempt has been made, it continues to show the last update status even if the app is edited. So the column isn't consistent at representing Ketarin's "current state".

Personally, I like the status column handing as it is done now within the current session. My request is only to show it again when Ketarin is relaunched, instead of "Idle".

I could go with a way to set one of the two Custom columns to show this value, if the Status column does not seem reasonable for this. Thoughts?

But even if the app has been edited, it's still "updated" for example in the current session. To me, the status column only is the last state of any update process, and I wouldn't like to add further complexity to this.

> To me, the status column only is the last state of any update process

Exactly what you wrote, that's what Ketarin already does and I don't want to change that. Not sure why you think I want to change that?

What I want to change -- show it to me when I relaunch Ketarin.

I don't understand why you feel that's adding complexity -- wouldn't you just save it in the db and redisplay it when Ketarin runs again?

Appy, it's a different "session". While it still shows the current app data, I just don't see any reason why people would want to know an outdated status possibly days, weeks or even months after they last closed Ketarin. It just doesn't follow.

However, I do know some people are just that way. They like browsers to always reopen all the same tabs as their last session, preserving what they were doing. IMO, they just shouldn't close their browsers. :)

The quick-fix for you is to use the "last updated" column the way you want. Sort by that, and it'll show when stuff was updated.

Alternatively, I can see an option along the lines of "preserve statuses" that operates much the same way as the "reopen tabs" option in most browsers. Frankly, I think it's silly, but that doesn't mean it wouldnt be used. :)

I think the fundamental difference here is the understanding of "last status" -- does it represent the last update attempt status of the app, or is it the last activity Ketarin performed this session?

I'm interested in the last update attempt status OF THE APP, doesn't matter when it happened. As such "no change", "failed" etc. are much more interesting to me than the last update date column, which can't give me that information.

Personally, I find leaving "last status" to represent Ketarin's activities instead of the status of the app is just silly :) but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't use it :)

I'll ask this again: Can the value can be made available to save and display with one of the custom columns? I'm happy to show it there if that is available and the 'last status' column can remain the way it is.

Possible to do?

Agree with shawn here, it is kinda pointless to have persistent current status values.

I would however advocate a "Last processed status" column so the last error/success column could always be known. Would just need custom column and a variable containing the last known status.

ACTUALLY on another note it would be EXTRA SUPER AWESOME if custom icons would be allowed for custom columns.

Like make a custom column and fill it with {image:\success.jpg}, relative paths always preferred.

A slight edit to my previous post, because now that I think about it custom icons would be awesome and then some.

{laststatusfail:image:\fail.jpg}

{laststatussuccess:image:\success.jpg}

Actually this would tie into the if/then variable logic that was requested.

Y'all want "Status" to be the current state/last state of Ketarin's activities for that session launch only. Meaningless to me but useful to you, OK I got that.

Let's come back to my request now, please?

I'm interested in a column displaying the last update attempt result FOR THE APP, regardless of when it occurred -- meaning, that value will persist between launches of Ketarin and be updated to the new value each time Ketarin makes an update attempt.

I'm happy to use one of the custom columns for this. Possible to do?

I do like if you discuss features, even if it goes a little off topic. This makes it easier for me to make decisions :)

@appyface: I got your point now, and it's certainly possible to add. Will add it on my todo list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello,

also for me this is one of the most missing feature for now. Won't repeat all arguments here, or why it's better for me, because we can agree that we disagree on point of view here.

So as mentioned, no hard feelings, or arguing who uses what, and for what reason, I think it would be nice if sometimes there would be something like:

- general option to keep status among sessions, to make it persistent

- custom column for the same functionality like above in parallel (with icons etc.)

Also maybe it would be beneficial to have custom columns to store last failed date/time? Just thinking out loud...

Thank you in advance for considering this.

the ability to track specific pre-download and post-download events already exists. there's a relatively recent thread (about 3 or 4 months maybe?) that demonstrates the ability to add a LastUpdated variable that is updated automatically after an update is downloaded. 

perhaps a better solution is to add error handling as a Command (like pre-download/post-download) that can run on-error. this would allow better automation to address issues that are discovered. @floele - what do you think?