Ketarin forum

An Unusual URL Situation

CybTekSol

I LOVE YOUR PROGRAM :-)

I am a techno-geek that has been at it since the Motorola 6800 in the late 70's and I have amassed over 12 years of downloads. Since my skills are predominantly of the hardware and configuration variety, I have needed (and wanted) a program like this for a VERY LONG time! THANK YOU Florian for making my life SO much more efficient!! I would like to help in Ketarin's testing in any way I can, so, here is my first situation:

Google Chrome Installer:

http://dl.google.com/chrome/install/{version:replace:1.0.:}/chrome_installer.exe

The version is 1.0.154.42, however, the URL truncates this to 154.42 in the portion above so while my solution of {version:replace:1.0.:} will work in the short term, it will fail when the version hits 1.1. (or another). Since I am not very strong regarding regex, I was wondering if anyone has a more long term solution to this?

Again, THANKS!

THANKS Florian... worked like a charm...

I created a global variable {truncate} , parsed the version page and extracted the 154.42 portion of the version number using regex \d\.\d\.([\d\.]+)

Is creating the global variable {truncate} going to conflict with embedded variables?

Also, do you plan to add a "drop-down menu" of existing variables when the "+ button" is clicked in the "Edit Variables" dialog in the future? This would decrease the amount of repetitive typing...

Again, THANKS!!

Some kind of drop down is planned. There won't be any conflicts. If a variable is defined multiple times, it uses the most "local" variable. So for example, global variables have a lower priority than per-application variables.

I don't see for what you'd need a global variable though?

I LOVE YOUR PROGRAM :-)

I am a techno-geek that has been at it since the Motorola 6800 in the late 70's and I have amassed over 12 years of downloads. Since my skills are predominantly of the hardware and configuration variety, I have needed (and wanted) a program like this for a VERY LONG time! THANK YOU Florian for making my life SO much more efficient!! I would like to help in Ketarin's testing in any way I can, so, here is my first situation:

Google Chrome Installer:

http://dl.google.com/chrome/install/{version:replace:1.0.:}/chrome_installer.exe

The version is 1.0.154.42, however, the URL truncates this to 154.42 in the portion above so while my solution of {version:replace:1.0.:} will work in the short term, it will fail when the version hits 1.1. (or another). Since I am not very strong regarding regex, I was wondering if anyone has a more long term solution to this?

Again, THANKS!

What I do is create a {version} variable from one of the download site pages, or I use {version} if I am using FileHippo and then I define a target file (not folder) and name the file GoogleChrome_installer-{version}.exe

Seems to cover the situation for me. I've gotten pretty good at extracting version strings from web pages using the buttons in the Edit box. I always create a {version} variable even if I don't use it in the download target so that I can display the version number in the custom column. Helps me keep track of what I need to install.

I also create a {version} variable for all downloads as I display the version in the custom column, but, more importantly I use it for my personal file renaming scheme preferences (i.e. 7-Zip_setup_v4.64.exe instead of 7z464.exe).

Florian... as for the need to create a global variable {truncate}... in this case I needed the {version} variable for the custom renaming scheme and the {truncate} to feed to Ketarin for the ever changing URL... seemed simpler this way to me, however I may be confused ;-)

I uploaded a new version now: http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/downloads/Ketarin/Ketarin-0.9.9.20.zip

Please do some testing, especially regarding the new variable type textual content. I'd recommend creating a backup of your database before.

Started testing using my existing database... since I didn't want to change any of my entries I decided to copy an entry and paste a duplicate to work with after renaming it. As soon as I selected copy, Ketarin promptly exited without any fanfare :o Copy worked well with the previous version (0.9.9.19) and my database. Any ideas?

Ah, thanks. Please redownload it and check if it works now.

I've been working with it for several hours now and LIKE what I see... Import & export to & from XML is working well, however, I didn't try it with my full database. I like the drop-down with available variables for fields on the edit window... now if they worked on the edit variables window as well! :D I was able to feed 'textual content' parameters without problems and there were no problems with my existing database! :)

The only glitch I encountered so far is the occasional 'Not a valid URL' prompts when adding a variable on the edit variables window... a small price to pay indeed!

I'm rapidly honing my skills with Ketarin and have started on a 'feature request wish list' that I start bugging you with soon. ;) Keep up the GREAT work Florian!! :)

The only glitch I encountered so far is the occasional 'Not a valid URL' prompts when adding a variable on the edit variables window... a small price to pay indeed!

Can you reproduce the problem? I don't have any.

Since I posted this info it has not occurred again. I have closed and reopened Ketarin a couple of times so could have been the database had to be rewritten as it was from version .19? Also, it may have been that I created the situation as I've developed a template that works with any file so far I have found on MajorGeeks.com and was tweaking it at that time and it's pretty intense. ;)