Ketarin forum

Global Install Path Variable

Etz

How to create such thing or is it possible at all?

Its pretty annoying, if I want to change file or path-format for my 130+ apps.

It would be much easier to change it in one place and all apps would have that variable in their "save to file" subsection so all it changes for all applications.

Help would be: much appreciated... :(

Edited by Etz

Pretty easy.Go to File-Settings-Global Variables.Create the nessesary variable.

Then select File-Export all.

Open the exported xml with say Notepad++ and select CTRL+F selecting the Replace column.

Select regular expression.On top box type(very general regex lol):

<TargetPath>........................................................................................................................</TargetPath>

and on bottom box type whatever global variable you have.Say {downloads} so it would look something like this:

<TargetPath>{downloads}\{appname} {version}.{url:ext}</TargetPath>

After you're done save XML and import it back(i suggest importing into clean Database.Meaning you have to move your .db files from C:\Users\Etz\AppData\Roaming\Ketarin to somwhere else.)

It isnt exactly what I meant.

If I would like to change them all together, I would export all.xml, edit it with notepad++ and import it to a clean ketarin.

Or Directly edit database and make replace.

Actually what I`m interested of is, that i could define somekind of global variable, example: {savepath} which corrsponds to:

Z:\Install\Software\{category}\{appname} v.{version}.{url:ext}

Then I would only change that: Z:\Install\Software\{category}\{appname} v.{version}.{url:ext} and magically all apps, that have that {savepath} in their target box, will change it too then. So instead of defining 130+ "savepaths" i would define one, globally.

EDIT:

Still havent found a way, maybe feature request is needed for such a functionality... :rolleyes:

Edited by Etz

• 2 weeks later...

I think the method that Tomorrow posted would work fine for you. Being a newbie, I had stumbled on a similar approach also. Basically, you would define Z:\Install\Software as a global variable (maybe named dldir} and put this string in the target path: {dldir}\{category}\{appname} v.{version}.{url:ext} and that would be used for all new entries.

Everything else Tomorrow said was to just get your already existing apps to have

{dldir}\{category}\{appname} v.{version}.{url:ext} in the target path field.

Thanks ... Jeff

Currently Ketarin does not allow variables like {category} and some others I can't recall, I have requested it a few times as have others. Just letting you know that at this moment I have to do {savepath} which is

{root}Software\Automatically Updated\

and {category} so each app has a savepath of {savepath}{category}\

I'm not sure why you'd want to specify it as app version urlextension but c'est la vie.

• 6 months later...
Oh, you want to have "recursive" variables. I see. Has been suggested before (at least for global variables) but is not yet possible.

Recursive variables is a must...at least for naming scheme that Im using :(