Ketarin forum

2 Queries

rctneil

Hello

I have 2 queries for all you experts here :-)

1.) I have a whole variety of applications configured in Ketarin which update a folder on my drive called "Setups". That folder contains the setup files that I use on a variety of different systems.

It works perfectly. Now, I want Ketarin to auto update applications on my own personal PC by using the "run commands after update" area byinserting the silent switches and such. however, some of the applications i have set to update, I do not personally have installed on my system, nor do a i want installed. Is there a way to quickly enabled and disable the "commands to run after update" for specific applications so it will always download the latest files but will only auto update specific ones.

Also, if i run ketarin on another pc with the same application database but only wish to choose a selection of the programs to download and auto update, how would i do this?

2.) I am having dreadful issues trying to set up auto downloading from sourceforge. Please can someone let me know how to do this as I get highly confused here.

Thanks

Neil

1) Sorry, it's a little more complicated than simply toggling an option somewhere on each item to enable installation. You might consider using Ketarin variables to enable or disable a specific app setup, but even this would be like 7+ clicks to change, for each app. :(

2) SF has been an ongoing nightmare, but the current system provides a workaround by using a SourceForge account for interacting with the server. Here's the steps:

* Create an account (http://sf.net/)

* Create a global Ketarin variable (file, settings, global variables, "sfprefix") for your SF login details. Use this format "sf://yourid:yourpassword@"

* In your SF app download, use this type of download placeholder "{sfprefix}{url}"

Look at the "7-zip cmd" app in the online database for an example.

1.) The simplest solution I can think of is just to keep two databases. One that has all the programs you want on your pc, one that has all the stuff you want on the other computer. You can run ketarin from a batch that loads it with the specified .db

Alternatively, althought requires a bit of effort.

Make all your apps in the "Execute the following command after downloading" a C# with the following.

/*This is a comment line, the line below is the C# script. It will run the instructions found in the Setup Tab*/

app.Install(null);

Put all the commands you usually had in there into the Setup tab -> Add Instruction -> Custom Command

Then make a custom install list for the PC with apps you don't want everything for, but that would always run everything in that list not just what was updated.

2.) Sourceforge is easily tamed with the following settings.

Spoof HTTP referer: http://sourceforge.net

User agent: (!)

The User agent could actually be anything you want, I just went with that because someone else found it out first. You don't actually NEED the referer, at least I haven't. The User agent is vital though.

1.) The simplest solution I can think of is just to keep two databases. One that has all the programs you want on your pc, one that has all the stuff you want on the other computer. You can run ketarin from a batch that loads it with the specified .db

Make all your apps in the "Execute the following command after downloading" a C# with the following.

/*This is a comment line, the line below is the C# script. It will run the instructions found in the Setup Tab*/

app.Install(null);

Put all the commands you usually had in there into the Setup tab -> Add Instruction -> Custom Command

Then make a custom install list for the PC with apps you don't want everything for, but that would always run everything in that list not just what was updated..

If user has 2 or more PC-s then there is no reason to keep separate databases.Simply create a new custom app install list from the apps and name it something like Computer1 etc...

2.) I am having dreadful issues trying to set up auto downloading from sourceforge. Please can someone let me know how to do this as I get highly confused here.

I have a very simple solution.Atleast so far it has worked perfectly for months and it does not require anything overly complex:

*Go to SF and download the file you want.For example i use Firefox so i download the file and select Copy download url from Download Manager.

*Then i paste this URL to Ketarin and substitute any constantly changing numeric parts(like version number) with variable that captures the info from the same SF site.As a mirror i always use mesh.dl For example:

http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sevenzip/7-Zip/{version}/7z{version:replace:.:}_extra.7z

*Then add any other settings and it works.No need to use UA,Referer or any timeconsuming regex commands(well you could do it for version number tho...)

Edited by Tomorrow

How do you do this: create a custom app install list

Basically I was after a solution that allowed me to keep one set of application preferences to download the latest versions and then be able to quickly choose whether i want the commands to run after for each one and whtheri actually want a specififc app downloaded in the first place (ie: on a different pc)

I'll give the sourceforge solutions ago when i get backto my main pc.

1.) The simplest solution I can think of is just to keep two databases. One that has all the programs you want on your pc' date=' one that has all the stuff you want on the other computer. You can run ketarin from a batch that loads it with the specified .db

app.Install(null);

Then make a custom install list for the PC with apps you don't want everything for, but that would always run everything in that list not just what was updated..[/quote']

If user has 2 or more PC-s then there is no reason to keep separate databases.Simply create a new custom app install list from the apps and name it something like Computer1 etc...

I have a very simple solution.Atleast so far it has worked perfectly for months and it does not require anything overly complex:

*Go to SF and download the file you want.For example i use Firefox so i download the file and select Copy download url from Download Manager.

*Then i paste this URL to Ketarin and substitute any constantly changing numeric parts(like version number) with variable that captures the info from the same SF site.As a mirror i always use mesh.dl For example:

http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sevenzip/7-Zip/{version}/7z{version:replace:.:}_extra.7z

*Then add any other settings and it works.No need to use UA,Referer or any timeconsuming regex commands(well you could do it for version number tho...)

Right, I ahve just updated to the new version of Ketarin and had a run through of the install feature. I didn;t realise it had this. I now know what you were on about.

Forget my previous post.

A few more questions:

1. Where is the list of applications and settings actually stored?

2. If I opened Ketarin on a different PC and wanted to download and install only a few of the applications listed. What would be the best and quickest way? I'm asking this as the download location set by me for my personal Pc will not exist on their systems.?

3. What's the best way of downloading from codeplex?

Edited by rctneil

1. Where is the list of applications and settings actually stored?

Ketarin main global settings(File-Settings) are not stored separately but can be exported.Same goes for all apps.

Help-About-Database leads to the main database.As far as i know there are no active registry keys for Ketarin or other dependencies.Also read: http://wiki.ketarin.org/index.php/Portability

2. If I opened Ketarin on a different PC and wanted to download and install only a few of the applications listed. What would be the best and quickest way? I'm asking this as the download location set by me for my personal Pc will not exist on their systems.?

Again application install list.You have option to select that the files are updated before install or simply install them.Also read below here: http://wiki.ketarin.org/index.php/Setup_instructions#Installing_Applications_via_Ketarin

When it comes to download location then it´s best to use global variable for that so that you won´t have to change download locations manually on every affected app.Simply change global variable and voila - all works.

I will start the move to a global variable defined download locations this week myself and tho it´s a bit of work then i think it will be well worth it.

I always use a subdirectory of where Ketarin is running for my downloads. Something like this:

.\{category}\{appname:regexreplace:([\s\t\r\n\-\\&\/]+):_}-{version}.{url:ext}

And, since I have the jobs.db "beside" the Ketarin executable, it's very portable. I can run it from any of my computers that have access to this mapped drive or location without worrying about redefining something for that device. It just works.