Ketarin forum

Competition to Ketarin...or not?

Tomorrow

It looks very interesting. Obviously designed for people that don't know (or want to know) how to download updates or select the right install options.

However, that's exactly why it scares me. I would hate to have an automated installation script deciding every option, every feature, and whether I want the latest crapware that the vendor is pushing as an added install option (defaulted to "yes" of course)...something like this would bypass the ability to ensure that those options were selected properly.

I guess, for the most part, this other app would be great for the moron crowd, while Ketarin is obviously far more feature-rich and capable. Two different markets, two different purposes.

It isn't really that much extra tweaking required though to get it like that is it? You already have an online database, you just need to have a select group of people (or if you really want you can do it yourself) to make sure that the instructions are 'good' for that app.

Upon loading Ketarin for the first time you'd just have to ask a few questions

Simple or Power User mode

Power user mode is just Ketarin as we know it now and Simple mode is when you get the choice to basically just be given the approved online database list of options, you checkbox the ones you want to keep up to date and click "Install/Update all" and away you go.

Install Instructions

For install instruction just upon loading Ketarin ask the user what he wants the install path to be for all his apps, which you automatically make into a global variable for them which is in the install instructions of all the 'approved' database apps. If you want it to keep a local copy that could be a checkbox. Just a few questions upon loading Ketarin would essentially achieve the same result.

Looking at it now it is much more a cosmetic change and two extra questions asked on loading Ketarin. Actually you could in general just get Ketarin to, even for power users, predefine a base install path for all apps that is put into a global app to make sharing apps easier. Same with the download to path.

So if I my {installpath} is {root}Programs\{category}\ and someone elses is {root}Programs\{appname}\ then we can share apps and they both go to the same place. We can of course set a different one if we want it but it isn't a bad default to have.

These are just some defaults Ketarin could ask to define upon loading to make interoperability much simpler for all. But to get Ketarin from where it is now to Ninite is quite minimal.

However, that's exactly why it scares me. I would hate to have an automated installation script deciding every option, every feature, and whether I want the latest crapware that the vendor is pushing as an added install option (defaulted to "yes" of course)...

Apparently they opt out of extra toolbars and crapware:

The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in.

I'm already using Ketarin to provide similar functionality as Ninite (and developing a web interface to generate a downloadable app profile for the users' selected applications), but the difference is that *I* control it, not someone else -- and my more technical users are capable of editing the settings or adding their own apps, if they desire.

As far as the "no to crapware" default options...I can't trust it. For example, I love the Win7 Codec Package and Vista Codec Package provided by Shark007. Unfortunately, there IS NOT a method to disable installation of that damned "bing bar" that it pushes with every install. So, after installing those updates, I have to manually go back and REMOVE the bing bar from the computer. Every time.

Sure, Ninite doesn't provide these codec packs, so it's impossible to see just how they'd address something like that, but the bottom line is: there's not an option anyway. And if you ALWAYS forced an uninstall of the bing bar after the codec pack was installed, you'd end up potentially upsetting some moron/user that actually wanted that crapware. Sigh.

It looks very interesting. Obviously designed for people that don't know (or want to know) how to download updates or select the right install options.

However, that's exactly why it scares me. I would hate to have an automated installation script deciding every option, every feature, and whether I want the latest crapware that the vendor is pushing as an added install option (defaulted to "yes" of course)...something like this would bypass the ability to ensure that those options were selected properly.

I guess, for the most part, this other app would be great for the moron crowd, while Ketarin is obviously far more feature-rich and capable. Two different markets, two different purposes.

Yes i agree with this, defenitly NOT the type of application i'm interested, too limited. Besides, this it's only good to install pre-selected software, no good for me

Edited by josh

I had a chance to play with it tonight. It's very VERY simple. For the novice crowd with plenty of bandwidth, it really is a great idea. All the same, it's not for anyone remotely techie.

It has absolutely *no* configuration options after you download the pre-built generic exe. It's essentially a tiny packaged exe (~240kb) that initiates a version check for each requested app, and if necessary it downloads and installs the app. It does NOT provide a method to interrupt or even "confirm" the process once you run the program. It just does it.

Definately its not Competitive application.

Its simple App for Simple tasks.

What annoyes me personaly is that, you cannot see and control whats going on "under the hood", also if you dont use network monitoring tools, you never know where it downloads its stuff.

Also you are limited to applications what they support and cannot add anything by yourself.

Edited by Etz