Ketarin forum

{f:*} handling issues

shawn

I've recently created a couple new jobs for apps that don't have exposed versions. I posted on this same issue recently on another thread, but can't find it.

I'm trying to use the datestamp of the file from the URL to compose a version number, which I use for file naming. The issue is that on NEW jobs, before the app is downloaded the first time, this pattern will not work in the version variable assignment:

{f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}

Now, I can get around this by using that pattern directly within the "save as filename" box. But then the version variable as exposed in the columns appears to be one version behind each time, which forces another update ad infinitum. Some of these are very large files, so it's a huge waste of bandwidth.

I *really* want to be able to use the timestamp from the Last-Modified header (formatted as yyyymmdd) stored in a "version" variable.

Is there another method of obtaining what I want? Any recommendations welcome.

I've recently created a couple new jobs for apps that don't have exposed versions. I posted on this same issue recently on another thread, but can't find it.

I'm trying to use the datestamp of the file from the URL to compose a version number, which I use for file naming. The issue is that on NEW jobs, before the app is downloaded the first time, this pattern will not work in the version variable assignment:

{f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd}

Now, I can get around this by using that pattern directly within the "save as filename" box. But then the version variable as exposed in the columns appears to be one version behind each time, which forces another update ad infinitum. Some of these are very large files, so it's a huge waste of bandwidth.

I *really* want to be able to use the timestamp from the Last-Modified header (formatted as yyyymmdd) stored in a "version" variable.

Is there another method of obtaining what I want? Any recommendations welcome.

Hmm yes i have sometimes noticed this behaviour too.I use {f:dd}.{f:MM}.{f:yyyy} .After update the old date is displayed in version column.After another update or Ketarin restart and update it will change to correct date.

Have not noticed any infinite update cycle tho.

Since "f" refers to the currently existing file, it will always be "one off", that is, refer to the date of the previous (that is, existing) file.

So if a new file is downloaded and i recheck this app then the value should be updated in Version column?

Is there another method of getting the correct value for the first iteration? Maybe a different way to handle {f:*} that utilizes a temp filename or something so the date can be preserved?

If I share these jobs with others, using the "f:*" functionality, they won't work. At least not until the job successfully creates a file the first time, which means users are likely to assume the job is broken instead of follow whatever funky instructions are necessary to ensure that the app is consistently downloaded.

I guess I could write a step variable that handles these situations by stripping ":" out of the version...but that seems like an unnecessary step.

• 5 weeks later...

I will add a change to the next version so that the "current" file date (actually, {f:*} was meant to support that) will also work in textual variables, and thus your first attempt (which I believe did not work because of an invalid file name error mesage because the f variables could not be resolved) should work fine.

• 3 years later...

Ressurecting an old thread...

For some time now, first time download using textual content variable {f:yyyy}{f:MM}{f:dd} for 'vers' column shows 16001231. When download ends, still shows 16001231. I also use 'vers' variable in downloaded filename, and the downloaded filename has the correct file date as part of the name.

Request a force download and 'vers' column temporarily changes to show correct date during the download.  When download is complete 'vers' column again shows 16001231. The downloaded filename still has correct file date as part of the name.

Possible to fix the display in Ketarin to show the correct file date? 

• 2 weeks later...