Ketarin forum

Ketarin hangs after download (0.9.9.16)

appyface

Hi Flo,

Ketarin 0.9.9.16 hanging after downloading an update. Cancel button does not work - click click click no response. Clicking the little 'x' in upper right does not respond either. (Ketarin is still alive though? Minimize and maximize buttons in upper right DO work.)

I used Task Manager to kill Ketarin process.

See below log text and screenshot of Ketarin main window. No errors of any kind were reported, just stuck there as if it did not finish the update or cannot update the database with new date/time/file info? Database is in same directory with Ketarin, and I run Ketarin by double-clicking the Ketarin executable directly from m$ Windows Explorer.

My habit is to check Ketarin alone for an update first, before checking for any other updates. That way I can switch to using newest Ketarin before going on.... so this morning I load up Ketarin 0.9.9.16, highlight my Ketarin entry, and press CTRL-U as is my habit. Ketarin finds the new update for itself, and runs my command following update (open an xplorer2 window to the Ketarin download directory).

The download has actually finished, the file on disk is complete and uncorrupted as per test with Winrar.

I realize this error may already be fixed in 0.9.9.17 but since I didn't see any new posts about it, I thought I would mention it just in case not.

This has happened to me before, on different downloads including those without external command to run. In .16 as well as earlier versions. I do recall a post about similar hang some versions back, and I believe a fix was provided, so this is apparently a hang for a different reason. (?)

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

Log text:

1/1/2009 6:20:23 AM: Update started with 1 application(s)

1/1/2009 6:20:24 AM: Ketarin: Checking if update is required...

1/1/2009 6:20:24 AM: Ketarin: Update required, 'D:\Stuff\filestore\Updaters\Ketarin-0.9.9.17.zip' does not yet exist

1/1/2009 6:20:28 AM: Ketarin: Executing command: "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /N /M "D:\Stuff\filestore\Updaters"

ketarin_hang.jpg

Hmmm using 0.9.9.17, I just retrieved Ketarin 0.9.9.19 by updating it alone (same process as described above - CTRL-U).

Ketarin launched x2 as always, but did NOT wait for x2 to terminate. I did not change my x2 command line to include a trailing &, as discussed above.

??? why didn't Ketarin wait ??? Did you change Ketarin to default to not waiting for the command to complete? Or are we looking at a different issue here.

Thanks and regards,

---appyface

Edited by appyface

I just tried it again with the command in your first post, and it works fine (that is, it waits). Note that waiting does *not* affect the other threads (if you update multiple applications). Typically, if you update just this one application, the "downloading arrow" should be visible as long as X2 is not closed.

Hi Flo,

As a test I removed my downloaded Ketarin file (Ketarin-0.9.9.19.zip), opened Ketarin (also at 0.9.9.19), highlighted my Ketarin entry and pressed CTRL-U.

Ketarin updated, opened x2 as it should, and showed a 'gold sun' indicating there was an update. Ketarin is responding full and I closed Ketarin, thought my x2 instance it launched is still open.

Looks like it is fully repeatable here. So is there any info I can get you, so you can learn why sometimes Ketarin waits on x2, and sometimes it doesn't? I took screenshots but I don't know what else I could get for you?

--appyface