Ketarin forum

Ketarin 1.5 beta 10

floele

Well the progress of Ketarin has definitely shut me up for a while! But as is the nature of things, with more one does more and then finds new problems :P

Will there ever be a function/variable available to place the setup instructions into the 'execute after download' window? like {setupinstructions} or whatever. Would simplify things.

Out of curiosity are functions intentionally not allowed in global variables? Will that ever change? Just wanted {startuppath} to work.

An a few... aesthetic things, which are always difficult do discuss. The word 'update' is a tad too broad in general, it sounds like it does everything. To me anyway, whereas to date it really just downloads if it finds a newer version. Wouldn't renaming it to 'download' make more sense? Update could apply to install/download/code or any number of things. Again english is a bastard language at times so yeah, it is an aesthetic thing. I've always preferred specific to contextual.

That way the order of the main button would just be

Download

Check for updated version, but do not download

Download and Install all

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@flo: You were right: trying to SCP without project name did the trick. I can now access SF form SCP.

Since beta9, Ketarin works too with SF!

@josh: Just try sf://yourusername:yourpassword@http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdflick/files/dvdflick/DVD Flick {VERSION}/dvdflick_setup_{VERSION}.exe/download

FileZilla Server ok too: sf://yourusername:yourpassword@http://downloads.sourceforge.net/filezilla/FileZilla_Server-{VERSION}.exe

I'm glad you guys liked my tutorial! If flo has the chance to link it form your site, I'd appreciate that ;)

@josh: pay attention: you're displaying your SF account credentials in your log (I did the some posts ago)!

When i use 'exit 2' code, and finish the download, status column displays incorrectly 'update is available' although the job is updated - this is just a minor annoyance but misleading, apreciate if fixed :)

Edited by josh

Yay!

I added a global variable "sfprefix" with my SF login credentials in this format:

sf://username:password@

...then added that variable to prefix the "download" field for all my SF downloads, as so.

{sfprefix}{dl}

{sfprefix}http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/xbmc/XBMC%20for%20Windows/{tag}%20-%20{version}/xbmc-{version}.exe

{sfprefix}http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/dqsd/dqsd/{filename}

They ALL work!

Some modification to my apps were required for a couple apps that returned the "Source file on server is empty (ContentLength = 0)" error. This indicates that the URL is *wrong* for these files, so correcting the regex capture to eliminate extraneous characters resolved it in every case.

Maybe I was a little too excited. All SF apps need updated again, and again, and again...

10/12/2010 2:30:43 AM: 7-Zip cmd: Update required, file modified dates do not match
10/12/2010 2:30:45 AM: 7-Zip Portable: Checking if update is required...
10/12/2010 2:30:45 AM: 7-Zip Portable: Update required, file modified dates do not match

The SF behavior is broken in this sense. The anticipated behavior is that it *should* be updating the "file modified date" on local files to ensure that the timestamps are accurate with the remote (and to better enable sorting and stuff).

Meanwhile, I can use a manually-assigned "version" variable check for changes, but this would have to be updated on all my SF apps, which would be a PITA to add and remove. :(

That's intentional though. Ketarin cannot know whether it has been downloaded successfully.

But you are passing wrong information to the user. Since the exit code is the last command to be processed, why not doing an aditional check afterwords to verify if job is updated or not... ? In my intention when using this command, Ketarin still monitors the package like any other package, only difference is it doesn't download so i expect Ketarin to tell me if job needs to be updated or not.

Edited by josh

I released a further beta show, supposed to be the last one, more or less. So that I can continue to add some features to 1.6x ;)

Now I'm only thinking about the packaging a bit. Should be have an installer? Should we add options to an installer so that a user can already add some apps at this point? We'd need to have well defined and reliable default apps for this option.

No, i don't think an installer is a good idea UNLESS you're going to map a filetype/extension to the program. As it is, I *love* the simplicity and portability of the app, which would only be reduced by the inclusion of an installer.

I do understand that it still wouldn't REQUIRE an installer, and that those of us that really prefer the portability of Ketarin could continue to use the simple "unzip" format -- but including an installer would likely conduse some people about the applications function and portability.

However, I do like the idea of mapping a certain filetype to Ketarin. For example, when I open a URL with a content-type of "text/ketarin" (which is simply an XML formatted file like an app dump file) which opens directly as an import in Ketarin, possibly with a potential new element to provide the ability to immediately download+install+save the app profile, download only + save the app profile, or either of those two but operating as a temp, without storing the app profile permanently within Ketarin. On that, it'd be kinda nifty to be able to build the contents of the xml file in such a way as to refer to external files to import, locally or by URL (similar to the format of sitemaps)

I released a further beta show, supposed to be the last one, more or less. So that I can continue to add some features to 1.6x ;)

Title of this topic still says beta 9...

Also for future maybe add an fixed URL for betas so we can download them with ketarin?

Meaning i launch Ketarin and look...whoa Florian released a new beta.Nice.Downloading now.Becuse i can`t really predict download links in forum posts.I mean i can make a new entry "Ketarin Beta" and add http://ketarin.org/downloads/Ketarin/Ketarin-{version}.zip as url but then where would i get the latest beta number other than forum post?

Hence why i wish a fixed URL for future betas/test versions.Hope it´s not too much trouble.

Small idea.Maybe add "Latest Version" entry or something similar to wiki along with download link?.Then i can extract it from there ;)

Now I'm only thinking about the packaging a bit. Should be have an installer? Should we add options to an installer so that a user can already add some apps at this point? We'd need to have well defined and reliable default apps for this option.

Well if an installer is provided along with zipped version then i don`t have a problem.However if it replaces the zipped version then it´s a little bad.

Well, what I'd like to do is to make Ketarin more "accessible" to non-geeks. Must not necessarily happen with 1.5, but sooner or later I'd like to have an improved concept. Suggestions are welcome.

An idea could be a custom protocol maybe. So websites (or possibly a portal created by myself) could offer links like "Watch this app with Ketarin" which could then add further apps to the Ketarin application.

yep. that would be cool. i'd LOVE to be able to put links on my sites to enable users to monitor my apps (or other apps) with Ketarin. nifty.

bug report (IMHO):

the "useragent" field doesn't parse variables (contrast with the "referer" which does appear to parse vars).

the problem is when you need to assign a useragent to a bunch of records. currently, the only way is to manually assign it to each one as a static string. when i need to go change that (which I am sure I inevitably will), I have to find a way to first locate, then update all those records. it would be far easier to use global variables to assign the UA string you want, then just insert something like {curl}, {ie64} or {chrome} in the UA box. if I want to update the UA I have been using for chrome, I just have to edit the value in one place - global variables (where this kind of global option belongs).

Made a huge post before, pushed back button my mouse (bloody mice these days have too many buttons) so i'm going to condense everything I wrote.

Current internet database is good, just needs to omit installation data and anything that is not download related. Could have volunteer moderators that are allowed to make changes to the database if anyone flags the app as not working. Would require the naming convention to be a bit more strict for submissions i.e. Appname, what build (x32/x64/Portable).

A setup wizard to define general global variables i.e. install directories and the two other must have programs with Ketarin which are an unzipping program like 7zip and universal extractor.

The below script works for essentially the ENTIRETY of my app database except for portableapps.com which I use AHK for, obviously i've omitted some 7z switches because they need to be in certain parts.

{7z} or {Universal Extractor} "{file}" "{root}{tempfolder}\{appname:regexreplace: \(.*\):}"

FOR /F "tokens=*" %d in ('dir /b /s {root}{tempfolder}\{appname:regexreplace: \(.*\):}\*.exe') do set dir=%~dpd

{xcopy} "%dir%" "{root}{installdirectory}\{category}\{appname:regexreplace: \(.*\):}

The {appname:regexreplace: \(.*\):} I just use to exclude brackets and contents of said brackets for smoothing things out. It is just to easier identify specifics about the app (again i.e. x64 builds or portable or source)

The {xcopy} is just xcopy /C /E /H /I /Y

If you can get them with a wizard that will go:

where would you like your programs installed? i.e. to {root}Programs or wherever

What naming convention would you like to use? i.e. {category}{appname} or whatever convetion they would like.

Where are 7zip and universal extractor located? (again I need both because sometimes universal extractor doesn't work)

If you make the online database also hold extra data like "How is this program installed? Via unzipping or universal extractor" and it could then propagate their install instructions from whatever was defined in the wizard.

Silent install switches and all that are a different kettle of fish and would just require someone finding out and then providing that information, but again can be stored online and propogated. When you know 'where' they are to be installed and the general install method it should be easy to automate it.

Manual install, stuff that needs ahk or basically just a notification "This tricky program has downloaded, please install manually"

Archive install, as above

Universal extract, as above

Silent install switch, provided in the database when someone has found a working doohickey.

On an unrelated note, I would still love if global variables would allow stuff like {category} if that would ever be possible :'(

And having a global variable for user agent or http referer is a good idea. For stuff like sourceforge especially. If you download from one site of course it is going to require the same thing over and over, easier to edit the variable.

Alternatively you could introduce some sort of easy mass field editor?