Ketarin forum

Write to *.ini

josh

Hi all,

I decided to share a simple, no frills way of writing to *.ini. I needed this feature for some of my unattended installs, and i discovered Windows doesn't provide an easy way to do it. On the contrary. All you have to do is to download NirCmd, and use inisetval command. I suggest you copy nircmd.exe to the same folder as Ketarin. Syntax:

inisetval [iNI filename] [section] [key] [value] 
Writes a value into INI file. If the file doesn't exist, it'll automatically be created. 
Example: 
inisetval "c:\windows\test.ini" "section1" "TestValue" "1" 

Using inisetval with Ketarin:

nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\INSTALL.INF" "auto" "auto" "1" & nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\INSTALL.INF" "auto" "alllang" "0"

Another example:

start "" /wait {root}USB-Toolkit\Backup\Uniextract\UniExtract.exe "{file}" "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}" &
start "" /wait nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\ImgBurn.ini" "Settings" "PortableMode" "1" & 
start "" /wait nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\ImgBurn.ini" "Settings" "FILELOCATIONS_GraphDataFiles" ".\Graph Data Files\" & 
start "" /wait nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\ImgBurn.ini" "Settings" "FILELOCATIONS_ImageFiles" ".\Image Files\" &
start "" /wait nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\ImgBurn.ini" "Settings" "FILELOCATIONS_LogFiles" ".\Log Files\" &
start "" /wait nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\ImgBurn.ini" "Settings" "FILELOCATIONS_ProjectFiles" ".\Project Files\" &
start "" /wait nircmd inisetval "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\ImgBurn.ini" "Settings" "FILELOCATIONS_QueueFiles" ".\Queue Files\" &
rd "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\$temp" /s /q & 
rd "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\$PLUGINSDIR" /s /q & 
rd "{root}USB-Toolkit\{category}\{appname}\Uniblue" /s /q

NirCmd:

Website - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Download - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.zip

Edited by josh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi josh,

!!!!GREAT!!!!

I was not searching for that, but now I found it ;-)

I think I will use it for my templates and my next project:

- loading the apps, descriptions and screenshots with ketarin

- generating an INI

- parsing the INI with Java script

- putting all to gether on a local website

...... and I have my own web based software database, without using apache or sql.

That could be nice....