Ketarin forum

Array operations

shawn

Per a discussion from here:

http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150

I'd really find it useful to be able to perform mass replacements on a variable by passing in an array of "find" and an array of "replace" values. This would work something like this:

{myvar:arrayreplace:,:Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May,Jun,Jul,Aug,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec:01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12}

Where "arrayreplace" is the function name, "," is the delimiter, "Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May,Jun,Jul,Aug,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec" is the find array, and "01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12" is the replacement array.

{myvar:arrayreplace:delimiter:findarray:replacearray}

Pushing that against the following values would yield these respective results:

2010-May-08 = 2010-05-08

Dec 11, 2004 = 12 11, 2004

I hate June bugs = I hate 06e bugs

Here's another place it would come in handy:

{myvar:arrayreplace:|:, Build| Build | part | beta | b:.|.|.|.|-}

This would convert:

Picasa 3.6, Build 3622 = Picasa 3.6.3622

Audacity 1.3 beta 22 = Audacity 1.3.22

MyApp 2.9 b4 = MyApp 2.9-4

Edited by shawn

• 2 weeks later...

To my knowledge, regexreplace provides several search strings, but only one *replacement* string. Am I misunderstanding it's operation? I don't see how it could be used to replace the month *name* with it's numeric equivalent in a single operation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is going to enable me to SIMPLIFY my template collection!!! Simpler is ALWAYS better!!! :)

BTW, for Ketarin users that have not used this added function, it was actually named 'multireplace' and from Shawn's example above it would be:

{version:multireplace:|:, Build| Build | part | beta | b:.|.|.|.|-}

which is similar to what I am going to use to simplify my version regex scrapes in my template collection. This will allow me to eradicate Beta, Build, spaces, - , commas, _, etc. from app versions in one shot!! YEAH!!

Just an aside, in most cases in your example:

{version:multireplace:|:, Build| Build | part | beta | b:.|.|.|.|-}

...you'd be better off using this:

{version:regexreplace:[^\d\.]+:.}

That's the most effective means if you KNOW that legitimate version numbers for a job should always include only numbers and dots.

• 6 months later...

Is there a way for it to be used as a global variable instead of having to put the function in each app? Maybe I'm doing it wrong but when I try to use it as a global variable I get a 404 error, for example, the app I'm downloading is xmedia-recode.

I get "xmedia recode The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (http://www.xmedia-recode.de/download/XMediaRecode{version:regexreplace:[/.]+:}_setup.exe)" where the expression would be the version number. I hope that makes sense.

Not as a "global" variable, but you can use it within another variable to rely on the first. Just create a new variable (+), name it (like "newversion"), click "textual content" and then enter your parsing rules, such as:

{version:regexreplace:[/.]+:}

This works perfectly, as long as the variable "version" has been defined. It will automatically be parsed first so the new variable ("newversion") can be correctly assigned.