Ketarin forum

Rename the external hard drive

omid

Hi.

Why, when I pour Katarin on an external hard drive and want to use it on another computer, I have to rename the external hard drive and make it look like a computer hard drive that contained katarin.
Because otherwise some programs will not be installed. Is there a solution to that?

This is because some paths will be cached from the previous locations. For specific recommendations I would need to see the app profiles of those apps that broke for you.

One of the best ways to avoid this problem is by using the built in variables for paths:

{root}, {startuppath}, {file}

and the related functions:

{file:directory}, {file:filename}

As long as your installation scripts use these path-agnostic variables and functions you should be fine. But share a couple of your defective app profiles and I'm happy to look them over.

hi, Dear shawn.

I was very thankful you are considering my problem.

Thank you for taking the trouble to help me.I do appreciate it.

I think those three programs had a problem that I rebuilt with your help and the problem was fixed.
At the first opportunity, I will test the programs on another computer and if I see a problem, I will share it with you.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, Dear shawn.

Only Microsoft Edge software is not installed on another computer when the system is completely offline, ie the Internet is disconnected and gives the update failed error. But when I connect the internet to that system, it starts installing. For some reason, I want to be completely offline when installing software on Katarin. What do you think is the solution? I also used different databases, but it gave the same error

That's actually my template :)

I suspect your problem is two-fold:

1) Your entire setup instruction is just "run {file}". 

2) Edge now runs 24/7 unless you change settings or impose policy changes.

There are two solutions:

1) Add an installation instruction prior to "run {file}" that closes existing apps (msedge.exe). This will close edge and allow the installation to proceed even if it was running when the process started.

2) Disable edge autorun (startup boost and background mode). This will prevent Edge from starting on its own in the background even when there's no visible windows, but it will NOT close Edge if it's already loaded. 

I recommend doing both. Most applications will fail to install if it's already running, so either add an instruction to close them, or expect it to fail on those where processes are already running.

Edge startup boost and background mode are both resource hogs and cause more problems than they solve on any relatively recent hardware.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{56EB18F8-B008-4CBD-B6D2-8C97FE7E9062}\Commands\on-logon-autolaunch" /v AutoRunOnLogon /d 0 /t reg_dword /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{56EB18F8-B008-4CBD-B6D2-8C97FE7E9062}\Commands\on-logon-autolaunch" /v AutoRunOnLogon /d 0 /t reg_dword /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v StartupBoostEnabled /d 0 /t reg_dword /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v BackgroundModeEnabled /d 0 /t reg_dword /f

gpupdate /force

There are many other policies I'd also encourage you to take advantage of (such as turning off their crapware, spying, adware, prerender, network prediction and so on).

Thank you for your all your help. I will definitely do them.:wub:

8 hours ago, shawn said:

Add an installation instruction prior to "run {file}" that closes existing apps (msedge.exe). This will close edge and allow the installation to proceed even if it was running when the process started.

Do I have to enter the installation instructions as follows? Did I do it right?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xMGxdw80Z-qCFyjHkvKTLmljFzPJjCdg/view?usp=sharing

The problem I have not yet realized is that when I go online on another computer, it starts installing with the same status and without instructions, but when the computer is offline, it gives the same error. :(

No, the registry/policy stuff should be applied separately. That stuff will improve overall PC performance and reduce information leakage to MS.

Above the "start process {file}" item add a "close process msedge.exe"

This will close all instances of Edge and allow the installation to complete.