Ketarin forum

Ketarin beta 1.8.11

floele

Changes in this release:

• Fixed HileHippo integration
  • Now allows changing width of variable list

• Variables now sorted by name (https://ketarin.userecho.com/communities/1/topics/76-variable-list-options)

• Fixed potential error when downloading variable content for the first time (before initiating an application update)

• Added global "On update failed" command

• Fixed keyboard focus lost after File->Export All (missing parent handle in ShowDialog)

Ketarin-1.8.11.zip

• floele featured this topic

I am just going through replacing all my apps, so they use alternatives to Filehippo.  What I did find the only one that works was VLC, but if you went to Filehippo website, VLC is 404 status at the moment.

Looking at the others that did not work, could it be that when you click download, it now shows an Advert for another product, which then has a text download link, see the picture.

filehippo.PNG

Something is going on with the regexreplace function. It's returning empty when used in the "save to file" box. After some digging I found that it's actually that the upgrade from 1.8.10 to 1.8.11 has somehow munged a few (but not all) of the regex patterns used 

This is what the value  was:

..\{category}\{appname:regexreplace:([\s\t\r\n\-\\&]+):_}-{version}.{url:ext}

Which has been changed to this:

..\{category}\{appname:regexreplace:([\s\t\r\n\-\\&\\]+):_}-{version}.{url:ext}

The difference is the addition of two backslashes prior to the closing square bracket. This results in the call to regexreplace to fail and be skipped each time. I copied the XML output into N++ and it looks like this affected 523 of my apps. Only a couple dozen were downloaded with names like "-67.0.2.exe" today, fortunately, but I'm concerned about what other data might have been damaged. I'm looking through the XML now.

• floele pinned this topic
23 hours ago, Etz said:

Unable to open database file, while database file is present, in the same directory as Ketarin exe itself

is it possible that it was already in use? perhaps being edited by another version of Ketarin or a Sqlite editor?

16 hours ago, shawn said:

is it possible that it was already in use? perhaps being edited by another version of Ketarin or a Sqlite editor?

Nope, simply deployed new version and executed, PC has been rebooted previously as well.

Tried latest upload, same...simply refuses to work, when DB is on network drive...previous 1.8.10 beta(s) work just fine with the same DB file and setup.

Copied everything into local drive, it works...but has very limited use for me this way.

Previous versions worked fine from network share and I don't quite understand, why that possibility was removed. @floele any known reasons/issues behind this?

Nope, it is not blocked...in fact I don't even have unblock option there.

Diffed config files, no difference in there either.

I don't think Windows Security settings matter much in this regard, If switched back to older version everything works fine...

6 hours ago, Etz said:

Nope, it is not blocked...in fact I don't even have unblock option there.

Diffed config files, no difference in there either.

I don't think Windows Security settings matter much in this regard, If switched back to older version everything works fine...

Sorry for butting in.
So the old version worked and the new version doesn't.
And you have the database on a network drive.
The new version works if the database is local.
Is that correct?

It doesn't sound like direct 'network' type issue as both versions would be blocked.

Have you checked your virus protection?
Often programs have to be 'granted' permission by the protection program to access resources on the local network.  This is to protect your network from malware spreading outside of the infected computer.
Try switching the 'protection' off.  Try from both the computer where Ketarin is installed and where the databse is.
If you still get no joy, try from another computer without protection loaded.
If you still get no joy try 'temporarily' hosting the database on another computer.
I've seen this type of thing happen many times in my work and the 'protection' programs have been the major source of problems.

I hope that helps
John

9 hours ago, shawn said:

@Etz Are both instances running from the same network drive? Are you running either of them elevated? What OS? Do you have SmartScreen enabled?

Yes both instances are running from network drive, running both elevated, OS is Windows 10 Pro, SmartScreen is enabled on both occasions.

Tried without elevation, same result...older works, new one does not.

BTW, smartscreen does not affect SMB shares if they are listed as Trusted site.

12 hours ago, Storm-E said:

Have you checked your virus protection?
Often programs have to be 'granted' permission by the protection program to access resources on the local network.  This is to protect your network from malware spreading outside of the infected computer.
Try switching the 'protection' off.  Try from both the computer where Ketarin is installed and where the databse is.
If you still get no joy, try from another computer without protection loaded.
If you still get no joy try 'temporarily' hosting the database on another computer.
I've seen this type of thing happen many times in my work and the 'protection' programs hav been the major source of problems.

Yes

No, permissions are same.

I don't have any "protection" programs loaded on any of my PC's. (I don't quite understand, what do you even mean by it)

Already tried on multiple computers.

Hosting DB or Ketarin itself on local computer, unfortunately defeats the purpose of using Ketarin for me.

4 hours ago, Etz said:

Yes both instances are running from network drive, running both elevated, OS is Windows 10 Pro, SmartScreen is enabled on both occasions. 

Hmm. Is it possible you're using a different global variable path based on a value that doesn't exist in one context? Do you get any errors in the app log or event log?

11 hours ago, Etz said:

I don't have any "protection" programs loaded on any of my PC's. (I don't quite understand, what do you even mean by it)

I just meant antivirus protection (e.g. Nortons, Trend, Bitdefender, etc) they all have 'protection' systems that go beyond just stopping programs from running.  Norton, in particular, has caused me a lot of trouble by blocking programs or just straight out deleting programs without any indication to the user that anything was done.

20 hours ago, shawn said:

Hmm. Is it possible you're using a different global variable path based on a value that doesn't exist in one context? Do you get any errors in the app log or event log?

Nope, already checked, nothing in the Event logs...

14 hours ago, Storm-E said:

I just meant antivirus protection (e.g. Nortons, Trend, Bitdefender, etc) they all have 'protection' systems that go beyond just stopping programs from running.  Norton, in particular, has caused me a lot of trouble by blocking programs or just straight out deleting programs without any indication to the user that anything was done.

Nothing like that is present on these systems.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:44 AM, shawn said:

@Etz is it the exact same jobs.db file? what exactly happens?

Exactly the same jobs.db file., nothing happens. Ketarin simply spits out error message: 

Capture1.png

and refuses to Launch.

While jobs.db definitely exists in the same directory as Ketarin.exe.

Capture2.png

The very same Jobs.db that works flawlessly with previous versions.

Now, if I copy all that from network drive to local drive, it works.

After I did some testing and digging around, I discovered that:

This version dislikes UNC paths and cannot find jobs.db due to that. (If I map network drive with drive letter it works, previuosly I did not have to map a drive, but could execute Ketarin via UNC as well.) 
Also there is an PR which changes how directory separators are handled: https://github.com/canneverbe/Ketarin/pull/2/files 

Unfortunately I have not yet had enough time to dig into that theory further and build my own version without that change for testing.

• floele unfeatured and unpinned this topic