Ketarin forum

Could not create SSL/TLS

jokerfool

Hello, I had the same issue, and tested out 1.8.8 b4 to see if it worked any better.

Strangely enough, it seems like in the beta version, it gives me that "SSL" error the first time I click on Update, but if I try again, it'll work.

Tried 1.8.7 again to see if it was the same there, but in that version it'll just fail with that "SSL" error message every time.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year everybody :)

I also have this problem (only Filehippo) and after a few weeks of searching I finally found a reason for this error and a solution.

It seems Filehippo changed their SSL certificate to only allow TLS 1.2 which got me thinking: why does the download work in e.g. Firefox but not in Ketarin? I then narrowed it down to Windows/.NET and found registry setting "SchUseStrongCrypto" which forces .NET to use newer settings for connections. You need to create the following keys in your registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319
"SchUseStrongCrypto"=dword:00000001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319

After that a reboot may be necessary. If you don't know what the registry is let a professional do that for you.

I'm sure there is a Windows 7 update somewhere that (should) fix that but I could not find it.
Also after the recent catastrophic Microsoft updates and the ... Windows 10 forced updates it is not in my interest to mess up a fine running Windows 7.

Hope this solution works for you too!

thank you for sharing, @herbert2 !

be aware that this change affects every .net application on your system, including Office 365, some application updaters and more. while it's a good security fix to employ in a general sense, some third-party stuff doesn't behave with strong security, so this change can break certain apps that communicate with sites that don't support TLS 1.2

On 1/11/2018 at 4:26 AM, herbert2 said:

Happy New Year everybody :)

I also have this problem (only Filehippo) and after a few weeks of searching I finally found a reason for this error and a solution.

It seems Filehippo changed their SSL certificate to only allow TLS 1.2 which got me thinking: why does the download work in e.g. Firefox but not in Ketarin? I then narrowed it down to Windows/.NET and found registry setting "SchUseStrongCrypto" which forces .NET to use newer settings for connections. You need to create the following keys in your registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319

After that a reboot may be necessary. If you don't know what the registry is let a professional do that for you.

I'm sure there is a Windows 7 update somewhere that (should) fix that but I could not find it.
Also after the recent catastrophic Microsoft updates and the ... Windows 10 forced updates it is not in my interest to mess up a fine running Windows 7.

Hope this solution works for you too!

Thank you for posting this. I had the same problem on my Win 10 Home version 1709 system. Added the registry keys you noted and now Ketarin works with FileHippo again. 

Hopefully I won't have problems with other applications, will report back here if I do...

Mahalo,

Harry Z