Ketarin forum

USB Thumbdrive Use: Deleting the original Setup file?

prologician

First off, I would like to say thank you for Ketarin. :D I had actually been trying to create a program myself with a similar function using AutoIt, but it was nowhere near as feature-complete or as flexible as Ketarin. *^_^*

I've actually encountered a peculiar issue, which may well be partly a misunderstanding on how Ketarin functions. But I feel that it could improve the functionality of Ketarin for use on USB thumbdrives.

Let me describe my scenario: I'm attempting to run Ketarin on a USB thumbdrive (it's 128MB in size, if you must know...), for the purpose of updating the software on that thumbdrive. Many of these programs utilize special installation procedures, i.e. download a ZIP archive rather than the normal setup executable, and extract the contents from the archive. However, when the setup procedure is done, there's really no need to maintain the downloaded ZIP file, so I'd much rather delete the file and reclaim some of that precious space.

Initially, I was under the impression that using the "use the following variable as indicator for changes" setting within a particular entry would be a solution for this. For example, in the Commands tab I would include something similar to

{7z}7z x -o{file:directory} -x!Languages -x!*.txt -y {file}
del {file}

as the after-download operation, and then use a variable like "version" to be the sole indicator for an update being required. However, according to current Ketarin behavior, the existence of the downloaded setup file is checked before comparing the {version} variable.

Might it be possible to either incorporate a switch so that the original setup file isn't required? Or, if not this, is there some other workaround which I'm not seeing?

Again, thanks for this fantastic program, and I look forward to future updates. :)

Edited by prologician