Ketarin forum

Forcing a delay between updates

LinksysRouter

I have recently had a problem where softpedia will lock out your IP address temporarily if you request too many successive downloads from them. Which sucks since I have about 20 downloads that rely on softpedia. This happens even though I have them download sequentially, instead of simultaneously.

I want it so when I hit "update all", it'll finish one download, then wait a certain amount of time (adjustable) before it starts the next. With any luck, I can hit a spot where the lockout stops happening.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to do this currently. The "timeout" in the settings is only waiting for unsuccessful connections, which does not fit this use case.

How about a 10 sec ping timeout as command before executing your softpedia download?

PING 127.0.0.1 -n 10 || PING ::1 -n 10

The PING command only works with enabled network connection. Otherwise you'll get an error message instead of a delay. You can also use the TIMEOUT or SLEEP tool from the Windows Resource Kit instead of the above batch command.

You can also try to enable the option for not downloading the application simultaneously with other applications.

The issue isn't just with downloading new software though, it's with multiple queries. So if I have 3 softpedia updates queued, and it checks all three of them in succession and they don't require downloading, it won't trigger the pre/post download commands and you still get locked out.

• 3 weeks later...

The issue isn't just with downloading new software though, it's with multiple queries. So if I have 3 softpedia updates queued, and it checks all three of them in succession and they don't require downloading, it won't trigger the pre/post download commands and you still get locked out.

Ketarin 1.8.6 b3 introduced a feature which is exactly suited to this goal. 

Please follow the visual instruction below : 

Qg2XYUG.png