Ketarin forum

Importing Reg file via Ketarin

Etz

Stumbled across strange issue with Ketarin 1.8.2.

During some applications setup, I import some reg files, now from commandline everything works and gets imported.

Via Ketarin, nothing happens, nothing get`s imported no error message shown.

Custom command syntax via Ketarin:  

%WinDir%\Regedit.exe /S "{settings}\SeratoDJ\Manifest.reg"

"Settings" is global variable (path) and according to Log it gets resolved too:

24.12.2015 9:57.46: Serato DJ: Executing command: %WinDir%\Regedit.exe /S \\SYNO\backup\Settings\SeratoDJ\Manifest.reg
24.12.2015 9:57.46: Serato DJ: Command result: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
\\Syno\public\Install\Ketarin>%WinDir%\Regedit.exe /S \\SYNO\backup\Settings\SeratoDJ\Manifest.reg

But nothing gets imported, no keys visible in registry.

Now executing the same command via CMD (Manually filling variable ofc), file does get imported and keys appear to registry.

Ketarin itself is executed as administrator and key goes to HKLM hive.

Not quite sure, how to debug it further though...  :rolleyes:

Have you tried to import Manifest.reg from your file directory? You can also use REGEDIT /S instead of the full path. It uses a global variable in Windows.

REGEDIT /S "{file:directory}\Manifest.reg"

Tried with Global variable (eq without %WinDir%), no difference...

How would import directory location make any difference?

I could try of course, but manifest file itself from the very same directory, where reg file resides, gets copied succesfully to installation directory...  :rolleyes:

EDIT: Tested, absolutely no difference, even when Reg is in the same directory as installer, and command is exactly what you gave.

Are there blank lines or blank spaces in the command field below your commands? I had this a few month ago because of some copied/pasted blank lines (maybe hidden characters).

Would you mind to share your app (without Manifest.reg).

Are there blank lines or blank spaces in the command field below your commands? I had this a few month ago because of some copied/pasted blank lines (maybe hidden characters).

Would you mind to share your app (without Manifest.reg).

Should not be any, I have already triplechecked it...

Be my guest: http://etz.planet.ee/Serato.xml

I can upload Manifest.reg as well, if needed, it does not contain any secret data anyway.

Maybe a path problem?

Interesting indeed, maybe I should try from local drive instead of Network share?

Still it has worked before...no idea, why it does not work now.

EDIT: Guess what, it works fine on another computer (Identical OS and Hardware), without any changes...  :blink:

Obviously this problem seems to be isolated to that specific Laptop...thx for checking out though... 

It's my pleasure to help!

You can also copy the reg file to your local drive before import and remove it after execution to isolate the problem with something like

COPY /V /Y "{settings}\SeratoDJ\Manifest.reg" "{file:directory}\"
REGEDIT /S "{file:directory}\Manifest.reg"
DEL /F /Q "{file:directory}\Manifest.reg"

This is the problem:

settings = \\SYNO\backup\Settings

Looks like you've installed Win10 recently on this device. You most likely didn't recreate the mapped shares with proper rights after Win10 installation. Win10 dumps administrative shares, so you have to re-add them if you're running Ketarin elevated. If you're running Ketarin as a service you will need to map the drive during the installation process. If you're not running Ketarin elevated then I suspect a behavioral difference in Regedit.

In any case, instead of relying on an external file, why not use REG.EXE instead of regedit.exe and just add the individual values directly?

reg /add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Manifesto" /v "Manifesto" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

This will allow you to avoid system/setting path problems completely.

Shawn, both machines run Windows 10, they are identical, one exhibits the problem another is not, and they both were installed approx 6 months ago.

Shares aren`t mapped, they are pure UNC paths.

Anyway, adding registry entries via command line would be probably the way to go on longer term indeed.

Tried with Reg.exe as well, behavior was exactly the same, no import happening.

Using Regedit instead of Reg.exe allows a bit more flexibility, for example if I would like to import something to HKCU hive while running Ketarin elevated.

Reg.exe will add it to Administrator account, while Regedit.exe will still add it to Current User.

Unfortunately I cannot get rid of external file dependencies completely, as some programs store their settings into config files which need to be copied during install.

In Internet Explorer on both machines (NOT Edge), go to Menu, Tools, Internet Options, Security, Trusted Sites, Sites. This list probably includes the \\syno device on one of your devices but not the other.

On this list REMOVE the "require server verification" checkbox, then add \\syno\ to your list. Close, OK, reboot.

Try the registry import via Ketarin again.

In Internet Explorer on both machines (NOT Edge), go to Menu, Tools, Internet Options, Security, Trusted Sites, Sites. This list probably includes the \\syno device on one of your devices but not the other.

On this list REMOVE the "require server verification" checkbox, then add \\syno\ to your list. Close, OK, reboot.

Try the registry import via Ketarin again.

Nope, both have NAS and LAN domain listed and Server Verification is not checked.

As Installs are scripted both have pretty much same settings applied, post install.

What I have discovered, it works when I switch to SMB1 on affected machine, but does not if it uses SMB3.

Working one, does not seem to care, works on both occasions.  :rolleyes:

It is definately something screwed up on Windows side, not sure what yet...