Ketarin forum

Renaming Categories

krislin

Just wondering:

Is there an easy way to rename categories, because it's really annoying having to go to each app and rename the category individually.

An idea I was thinking about was to have "Rename category" or "Change category" in the right-click menu.

I love this app!

Thank you,

Kris

Well a context menu option would be faster... If you don't get it here's how to do it:

- Select the applications you wish to rename

- Export select jobs using File>Export selected...

- Open XML in Notepad

- With the 'Replace' feature search for (example)

<Category>Clean</Category>

and replace with

<Category>Tweak</Category>

- Save XML als UTF-8

- Import back to Ketarin using File>Import

This description looks more complicated than what really is. ;)

Some things (example: CIV) do NOT export to XML. (I have asked, Flo's answer is still "no").

So you will not necessarily end up with with an equivalent database except for desired category change, by exporting and re-importing, depending on how your apps are configured.

Worst case you will just redownload some apps that do not need to be redownloaded, so it is not a monumental problem. Just wanted to point this out, so anyone going this route is not surprised by any change in Ketarin's behavior following re-import.

--appyface

Actually CIV is a bad example because you can 'reset' value replacing

<VariableChangeIndicator>{version}</VariableChangeIndicator>

with

<VariableChangeIndicator />

using the same procedure. But I know what you're talking about ;), there are a lot of settings not available in XML export.

@krislin, others

IF you also use category in paths and commands remember to change those as well. The alternative is to use a {category} variable. Technible for instance would save users some trouble if they used this (and other built-in variables).

You are not talking of CIV (variable), you are talking of CIV content.

I haven't any idea what you are arguing, sorry.

I came in to this thread, I saw a person had asked about easier way to rename categories . A workaround was suggested, in the form of exporting the XML, mass-updating the categories as desired, and then re-importing the XML. I simply pointed out this method *may* not result in Ketarin behaving the same as it would have, had the person not followed this workraound, because not all values are exported to XML.

I stand by what I wrote. Flo has chosen to not export everything and he has written about this in at least one of previous posts here.

--appyface

You are not talking of CIV (variable)' date=' you are talking of CIV content.[/quote']

I haven't any idea what you are arguing, sorry.

I believe FranciscoR means that the xml stores

<VariableChangeIndicator>{version}</VariableChangeIndicator>

for example but not the content/data related to that from the Jobs.db such as version '1.2.3' for the last run of Ketarin. Otherwise, I don't believe FranciscoR is disagreeing with your assessment appyface. ;)

You are incorrect sir on all your assumptions. It is not a bug, it is a decision Flo made deliberately. Ketarin will behave differently if your configuration of Ketarin apps requires the missing data. Find the post. Case closed.

Edited by appyface

I'd actually prefer if such discussions could go without that somewhat unfriendly tone.

Anyway:

1. No, renaming categories is not possible easily and it hasn't been intented so far.

2. When exporting and importing, you might lose some information. Nothing critical, but there simply is some information that should not be transfered to other users' databases.

3. At some point, there *might* be a category management, but it doesn't seem necessary currently. Maybe it'll also be replaced by tags or something like this.