Ketarin forum

Ketarin Pagefile use..?

JohnSim3

Hi Flo,

I have not been able to post sooner since I was rather busy myself moving house.

There's a couple of things I would like to mention, as Ketarin is getting better and better and becoming one of my most time saving tools :)

Especially the "Share this application online with others" feature is truly awesome now other people start using it as well :D

But the reason I'm posting in the Bug section of this forum is the following:

I was just running the latest Ketarin version (0.9.9.10) and as some of my update checking was pending (and about to time out) I got a message from Windows telling me that my system was running low on Virtual Memory.

When I checked the Windows Task Manager I noticed that it was Ketarin causing the problem as it was already using more than 500MB of my Virtual Memory!! :o

The programs being checked for updates were FileHippo.com programs and I have Ketarin configured to use 4 threads at 1 time to do the checking.

Another thing I noticed is that a few versions back the "Default command to execute after updating an application" has stopped working as none of the updated files are checked for virusses anymore, where it previously did. :|

The last thing I can't quite explain is that I have 1 update link checked by Ketarin that will fail with some kind of "redirect error" of some kind, but when I check the same link a second time, then the check works just fine... :)

The link would be for a program called SoftPerfect Network Scanner

This actually also gave me an idea for a new setting: :D Retries :D

If a check fails the user should be able to configure how many times Ketarin should retry the update check or download before considering the check or download as failed.

Thanks and best regards,

Johnny

I think that I found a fix for the memory usage. I used a code snippet from the web to calculate the MD5 of a file, but on a second look, it was in fact really inefficient (loading the whole file to memory before calculation). I fixed that now.

Regarding the redirect error: There is a limitation in .NET which does not allow redirection from HTTP to FTP. This might happen if the download link is redirected dynamically.

I'm going to look at the command thing, it actually works fine for me at the moment.