Ketarin forum

Ketarin as a "Windows Repository"

kwe

Folks;

I've been learning Linux lately and one of the intriguing capabilities that Linux has that Windows doesn't is the idea of a "software repository" which includes client software that can automatically download and update software selected from a pre-defined repository of Linux software. Multiple repositories can be used, the client interface can be used to select software to install, and the client automatically keeps the installed software up-to-date from the repository.

I've looked for such software capability for Windows and have found none. An important limitation for my application is that software updates should be accomplished on limited user accounts (as Linux does). Surun.exe solves this problem for Windows by allowing limited users to run selected applications with admin privilege (as sudo does for Linux).

I'm thinking of ways to use Ketarin.exe to build a software repository for multiple limited users to use to update applications on multiple Windows workstations. Has anyone already built something like this? Is there interest in making Ketarin work more like a Linux software repository? While you might not be interested in creating a general repository for Ketarin users due to shareware issues, the idea of refining the contributed templates into something more like a repository seems like a good idea to me.

Well, it would certainly be a funny idea. Basically, it's rather easy to install new applications for limited user accounts, you could develop a simple service which would allow Ketarin to install software.

Creating such a repository involves a lot more though. You'd have to define and maintain the packages, and in particular you'd have to think about how the packages would work. Every piece of software has its own installer, maybe special runtime requirements, all needs some consideration.

Since apparently there really are no usable package managers for Windows out there, maybe that would be an idea for a new project? ;)

Yes I requested something very similar to this feature/new project, early on in Ketarin's development as well, this would be a really nice next step for the entire process of keeping machines up-to-date not just the repository.

I too prefer to use Ketarin to keep a central repository rather than having Ketarin run on each machine and maintain a repository for just that machine. Being able to pull from/push to the appropriate apps manually, on a schedule, and/or spontaneously as they come in, would be really helpful, especially since a lot of home/small networks don't use WHS, active directory, domains, etc. that make distribution and installation simpler.

Just my $0.02 USD...

--appyface