Ketarin forum

Ketarin 1.7.1

floele

Changes:

+Added command line argument "import" (similar to "export") with optional "clear" flag for deleting all existing applications (/clear cannot be used on its own)

+Allow variables in user agent string

!Fixed: Some FileHippo downloads may not work (https://ketarin.org/forum/topic/3497-unable-to-download-some-filehippo-apps/)

!Fixed: WebException on HTTPS websites supporting only SSL3

Download: https://ketarin.org/download

Is there anything that needs attention currently?

My only current issue is the load time. I have Ketarin running with, I believe, a tiny jobs.db (1.8mb, ~550 current apps), but it takes fully 7 minutes before it loads. It's been this way for the last several builds. When I turn off the option to "check for updates in the online database" it loads immediately. But then I don't get the option for updated apps from the online db. There's no visual feedback, so I don't know if it's stalled/crashed, or whether it's actually checking the online database or if something completely different is happening. The lack of visual feedback (a progress bar) is probably the biggest issue.

I suspect it's actually checking for each individual app from the online db one by one, which is creating a minimum of 500+ separate requests to the Ketarin site for checking them. I have a 100mb connection, so the issue is not on my end.

I believe the best solution would be to query the server with the Guid and a GMT timestamp of the last mod to the app profile, then receive ONLY the profile names and Guid's of the modified apps in the response. At this point the user would then individually select (checklist) the specific apps they want to update and a second query would be sent to the server with the Guid and a flag to indicate to return the entire app profile. At this point it would overwrite those individual local profiles with the ones downloaded from the server.

The drive is fine. I juggle multi-gb files to and from this drive all the time. SMART OK and all tests pass.

Guest stealth789

Hi,

first thank you for great work.

It would be helpful to be able to use more proxy server options. For now I have to manually insert/delete proxy address to be able to work in different networks. Add some options to use system proxy settings alongside manual input of proxy address. Also be able to support it when automatic detection is set, or PAC file is used in IE or so called "system" proxy settings. Because i saw some software that used system proxy, but won't work when there's PAC file selected. Or use total cutsom options to select proxy server type.

Thank you for considering this.

This is actually an old thing I believe, but would it be possible to implement a form of silent/unattended that will exit if it encounters no errors upon updating, but if there is an error Ketarin can prompt 'would you like me to skip and keep going or would you like to investigate?'

Or have a prompt at the end that says 'These applications encountered an error, investigate.' but if there are no errors then it just exits smoothly.

Oh, could we have an extra application option called "if download variable is empty/doesn't resolve then consider it an error"?

Currently I just have a batch script that basically says:

IF "{downloadurl}" EQU "" cmd /c echo error

Settings > Command > Before updating an application >

if "{variable}"=="" exit 1

I should perhaps have pointed out my issue is that my approach only works if you have a variable as the URL, forcing Ketarin to resolve it so you can perform a check against it. I was asking more for Ketarin to have a built-in variable that it will attempt to resolve which you can check against.

• 1 month later...

RE: SLOW Loading.

In my experience the very long load time when starting Ketarin was due to Microsoft Security Essentials.

I fixed it by adding the following to MSE Excluded Processes in the Settings for MSE:

C:\Ketarin\Ketarin-1.7.1\Ketarin.exe

Of course, this has to be updated each time Ketarin releases a new version.

• 2 weeks later...

My only current issue is the load time. I have Ketarin running with, I believe, a tiny jobs.db (1.8mb, ~550 current apps), but it takes fully 7 minutes before it loads. It's been this way for the last several builds.

I had the same problem with 280 apps at 5.6mb. I have now fixed the problem with SQLite Manager (AddOn for Firefox) by deleting all the dead/orphaned entries and performing a vacuum fixed my performance problems and the "super size" db problem (new size ~1.4mb).