Ketarin forum

Manual - UPDATED please comment

Despite the clear quick start http://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/20 I still found it quite an experience getting to know Ketarin. The forum is brilliant and helps a lot but a lot of answers are scattered and often targeted at solving a specific issue and just briefly touching upon the underlying fundamentals.

I created several examples for myself that might be of use for others as well and am considering making it public. I checked with floele and he is supporting this so my question to is:

Who would like to have a peek and give feedback/comments or CONTRIBUTE?

You can find it here

R

Edited by dutchclimber

A quick glance and it looks good so far dutchclimber! :D This is one of the things I have not had the time to tackle yet and I will try to take a closer look later and contribute. Who knows... we may be able to get it to a point that Flo would consider packaging the PDF with Ketarin. ;) BTW, are you affiliated with DutchOrange.com? I am an animal lover and the photos there are BEAUTIFUL... EXCELLENT photography!!

Thanks for the feedback. Floele's gave some feedback as well and referred to kb/20 as well.

and the 'kb-structure' made me think: work on this document until it is 'finished' and then turn every paragraph into an online page (ketarin kb-article). With a proper index it would read as a manual, but it could also be referenced by the posters on the forum when a newbie asks a question (i say this with modesty as I am new as well ;))

R

off topic but to answer your question.

It's not my website (I wrote the backend and am allowed to 'host' the odd file there). I'll pass on the feedback; i agree with you that she makes superb photos.

There is one photo on there which is actually made by me: http://www.dutchorange.com/show.asp?action=image&item=2228

I would personally add the following suggestions:

1) Do not overwrite system variables which are not meant for it (like {url}, {appname})

2) DO overwrite system variables which are meant for it (like {version} instead {vers}, {v} etc.)

3) Refrain from sharing an incomplete app entry (no {version} scrape if it is possible, static link to dynamically versioned file etc.)

It is evolving dutchclimber... keep up the good work. I would hope that at some point in the future, Flo would consider an editable Wiki based along these lines that would be dynamic as 'proficient forum members' could add content and a moderator (you possibly?... since you took the initiative) parse/organize it with oversite and feedback. When new features are added to Ketarin, they could be documented quickly in an indexed/structured manner such as you are using in the PDF. New users could request features be added/clarified in a dedicated forum section and the more advanced users could add/edit Wiki content and share the load. It would shorten the learning curve for new users as all the info would be in one place and indexed for quick access. A Wiki snapshot in PDF format could easily be packaged with each successive release of Ketarin... just my humble opinion. As always, it's Flo's decision to make. ;)

Yep, I agree! Wiki seems to be the thing, word and pdf are just so 90's ;).

I wanted to discuss it with you anyway on how to get this more webbased so if wiki is possible, then it's great. Let me know if you figured something out.

It's still a bit of a moving target as I keep shoving things left, right up an down in the document. I am trying to keep it lean as well. I mean; we can't end up with a manual with more lines in it than flo has written codelines!

As for the content, all please comment if I miss anything or if it's not clear/true what I write. The intro for instance is all based on my view on the problem Ketarin tackles, but the rest of us might see it differently.

And again I would like to state that a lot of example are either directly 'borrowed' from what I found on the forum or at least derived from the examples. It's barely doable to keep track of who wrote or inspired what. Just hope that's understood.

R

Yep, internal document references. For instance, in 2.5 you can have the following examples:

- a 'normal' regex would be

SyncBackSE V(\d+[\.\d+]+)\s+?(?:<)

- w/global variable {v1}=\d+[\.\d+]+

SyncBackSE V({v1})\s+?(?:<)

- w/variable (more details here)

http://({durl1}(?:\d.*?)?)\.zip(?=")

- w/function (more details here)

http://({durl:regex:(ghisler\.fileburst\.com/.+?)(\d.*?)?\.zip:1}(?:\d.*?)?)\.zip(?=")

While in 2.1 each one of these variables is explained in more detail (simple descriptions will do).

But I think most users would also like to have some sort of command line guide-line (if you count the number of posts in forum). Regarding 'regex reference': I think it would be nice to list common regexes used with Ketarin, not the complete .NET 2.0 reference available @ MSDN. Maybe we can help you with that... ?

---------------------------

Edited by FranciscoR

But I think most users would also like to have some sort of command line guide-line (if you count the number of posts in forum).

Actually this could go in the 'predifined variables' or the 'global variables' subchapters. One thing is to use

7z x archive.zip -oc:\soft *.cpp -r

The other, w/ global and predifined variables (note: {a} is a globalvar, 'c:\progra~1\')

{rem} {7z}7z x {file} -o{a}{appname}\ -y

Or as a 'before command' (note: {shared} is a globalvar, 'd:\shared' - it's a network folder)

{rem} del /q {shared}\{appname}*.*

And 'after command'

{rem} copy /y {file} {shared}

There's a BIG advantage on using those: for instance, i have everything so 'standardized' i am currently using only 5 commands for ALL my jobs. Ketarin does the rest for me, flawlessly.

----------------------

For me a Ketarin manual should reflect the 'power and flexibility' of Ketarin. Updated outline. =)

Edited by FranciscoR

Excellent input FranciscoR... some notes:

Maybe swap 2 & 3 positions as some light users may not need to dive into the 'geeky' stuff such as advanced regex or break it down into casual and advanced categories?

Describe to dutchclimber your defined 'global variables' such a {shared} for clarification

BTW... what did you create the diagram with? I like it. ;)

Swap 2&3 fine by me. But i am thinking out loud, maybe Flo doesn't like outline ? {shared} done. Freemind, i use only that - that screenshot looks like a concrete slab. =) What do you think on some placeholders examples ?, i think i will do that to clarify placeholders 'flexibility'.

Edited by FranciscoR

Freemind... I remember trying that in it's infancy on a Linux-Box years ago... looks like it has progressed well.

What do you think on some placeholders examples ?, i think i will do that to clarify placeholders 'flexibility'.

Useful indeed... go for it... but hopefully we will have to adjust them when Flo gives us a 'placeholder drop-down' feature. ;) I'm lobbying for it all I can!

I believe that Chapter 2 should be moved Chapter 3 should be first.

Page 6: Font at point 3 is wrong. "Theend" should be corrected.

Page 7: Note that textual content may contain variables as well.

Page 8: "you are [in] the main window"

Last page: I prefer not to call it "system variables" but rather variables with special meaning" or something similar.

• 2 weeks later...